alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Apparently Tempest filters now have (or always had?) magnets in their oil filters to attract any metal particles that get through the media.

If so #1, is this something that needs to be checked when cutting open a filter?

If so #2, how would one go about finding it? After cutting open the filter on my last oil change, I don't see it or know where to look for it. I also didn't see any metal, but maybe that's because its all stuck to the hidden magnet. :eek:

Thanks.

What's the point of having the magnet in the filter if the filter is going to catch the steel particles that the magnet just picked up. Feels good I guess.

magnet

The magnet is on the end of the filter housing under the curved flat spring (pull the spring off) good luck, Russ

Refrigerator Magnet

Refrigerator magnet washer under the spring.I Asked the Champion guys at Oshkosh last year, What makes there filter better,got an ear full and $2 per filter back,bought 6 as they look cool and have a heavy metal case. There is a NAPA filter that works just as well,you can search the threads.
RHill