Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

Well it's been a little over a year now since Sherri and I sold the RV and went to the dark side so to speak and purchased a Bonanza. I went cold turkey on VAF for 10 or 11 months to break the addiction, and then a few months ago started checking once a week or so to see what is happening here. This is like a chain smoker that quit somehow just lighting up once a week just for the heck of it. Probably a big mistake. :eek:

Anyway, I thought I'd give a pirep on life without an RV in case anybody else is considering going this route. Simply put, I'll probably need to build again at some point because once a person has owned and flown an RV a production plane doesn't seem to work for local flights "To get the juices flowing" per Ken Scott. If I start the Beech we need to be going somewhere because the cost is high to get it off the ground and up to altitude. That wouldn't have been something that I noticed likely if we hadn't had the ability to climb at close to 2,000 fpm at a much lower burn in our RV. The cheap gas in our area is 29 nm from my home field and I need to get up to around 4,000' to clear some foothills to get there. This 29 miles is a 5 gallon trip one way including taxi and runup. So in order for it to make sense to commute for gas the plane needs to have room for 46 gallons to break even at current prices. At this point I get a free ride. So as you can see this makes the Beech a poor choice to noodle around locally in which is something I used to do two or three times a week in the RV.

Once in the air though the Beech is a real joy to fly. While not as light on the controls as an RV it is pretty wonderful by spam can standards. What impresses me with this plane is the autopilot. The autopilot in my RV had every option available including alt. intercept, auto trim, etc., but it never rode like this STEC 50 does in the Beech. I think that being truthful the autopilot was my biggest disappointment with the RV, followed closely to arriving at a fly inn and seeing my paint scheme on another RV. (It's not like I could lay claims to it because the local artist who designed it had done it for a Lancair that was totaled in an accident. I then used it) Back to the autopilot... While it was priced right and had lots of features this STEC ride is far superior. This is probably blashemy in this arena but this is such a big improvement over the one in my RV I can't deny it. Comfort is a trade off because while the plane has leg room and headroom and a tilting pilot seat the entertainment features I had installed in the RV to make the time pass are sorely missed. I've begun to collect bits to do some panel changes to my Beech, but the choices are so pricey and limited compared to the homebuilt worlds offerings that I can't make myself commit to pulling the trigger on hardly anything. There is a huge mental barrier to get past when making a backwards transition from homebuilt to spam can.

Running LOP is really the only option when running a big bore Continental having gotten used to my 0-320 with electronic ignition in the RV. If I run the Bo at full throttle and 2,500 rpm ROP in the 6,500' range the fuel flow is between 16 and 16.5 gph. The plane is relatively fast when doing this, but I feel like a stooge doing it. So I back the prop down to 2,300 and pull to LOP and get the burns down to 12.4 gph. Even this hurt for a while because that was take off FF with the 0-320. We get about 168 knots with this set up with just Sherri and I on board which is good and I'll take it. To be completely honest regarding this I don't think even running LOP there has been a single flight where the fuel burn has not made me reflect to how good I had it with the RV. We can put a lot of ground under us at this speed, but then we could in the RV also.

The overall traveling experience though is really quite nice. Having not had the pleasure to travel in an RV-10 I'd have to say that the comfort, reduced noise level, and smoothness of the engine, especially with a 3 blade prop goes to the Beech. Obviously the RV-10 solves this in the RV lineup if it was indeed an issue to somebody flying a two seater. The ability to carry passengers and/or bags is great also. I did travel to Osh with 135 lbs in the baggage area of my 9A however. But I gotta say that we are enjoying the ability to take friends and our family members that don't fly with us on trips. This has truly transformed the mission and has been a lot of fun. If I was going to own an RV at this point as my primary plane I'd probably try to maintain a share of a 4 seat spam can to fulfil this. I justified the two seats for a long time, now I'd hate to be limited by it. Thankfully Van addressed this for people thinking this way.

So, having loved and lost... Or better stated I'd say that overall I'm happy with the trade and would indeed do it again. I realize though that my mission isn't your mission and I'm not selling this idea here. I'm just saying it was the right move for us. However, it has become apparent to me now that life is to short to be without an RV. I don't want to sell the Beech to have one, I want both which presents quite a challenge. As soon as I figure out which one fits my "New" mission since the RV will not be our primary traveling machine, my dreams of a Super 8 or Rocket don't make a lot of sense. If I thought I could order a tail kit today and not get hit over the head with a 2X4 I'd probably go with an 8 and install an 0-360 with GAMI's, eng. monitor, and constant speed prop. Until I can figure out how to afford to do this and have two airplanes it doesn't make sense to start building. But, this RV thing doesn't make sense if you try to rationalize it anyway. I learned that last time around. I can't believe this is coming forth, but I'm really getting the urge to build again. Oh crud, she's gonna throttle me. :eek:

Anyway, it's good to check in and see that everybody is doing well and the passion is still alive out there for this great hobby. Who knows, maybe there is another LOE or two in our future again. I'd like to hear from repeat builders. In my mind enjoying the build will be more of a player the second time around. The first I just wanted to start flying.

I realize that few here are likely to be dazzled by a spam can, but here is the Bonanza. It's old, a 1965 model but we like it.
http://www.beechbums.net/images/P1000451 019.JPG

Last edited:
Tired of 172 rentals

and ready to get this RV-10 in the air this year.

You may just have to order your tail kit tomorrow. I would prefer owning ANY plane vs. rentals, but I did not plan on taking more than 2 yrs to build. So not much longer. Back to brake lines.

Nice Ride

Bryan,

If I could swing it I would like to have a Bonanza or other as a second plane. I don't think I would/could trade my RV for one though. I like the utility aspects of the 180/185 Cessnas or even and early model 182. Back country strips for camping/hiking would be the mission I would fill.

Good to hear from you!

Bryan, good to hear from you.

You need to ride in a well equipped RV-10, you will throw rocks at your spam can.

It's not too late to come back from the dark side!

Last edited:
Bryan,
Glad to hear from you! Can't you find a partner for the Bo and build another RV with that money? Or find an RV partner?

I can relate to this as I've done the same thing myself recently, selling my RV-6A and getting a Mooney 205. I'm not totally out of the RV market altogether. I've been building a RV-10 for several years now, but the reality was that I'm still at least 12-18 months from finishing it. I needed something to haul the family around in the meantime, since the -6 wasn't cutting it in that department.

The Mooney is a great airplane to fly. I never had any complex time before, and found the transition from flying a quick, slippery RV to the quick, slippery Mooney very easy. Aside from the heavier controls, a gear switch, and cowl flaps, there's not much more to get used to.

I'm also taking this opportunity to get my instrument rating. My RV wasn't equipped for it, but the Mooney is. The kids (ages 7 and 5), while they've flown many times in the RV, they've never done it together. We just did a trip down to Texas (from Atlanta) and back over Christmas. The kids did great in the Mooney.

I've had the opportunity to fly in a nice RV-10 (thank Vic!) several times. This only serves to reaffirm my plan to finish my RV-10 and sell the Mooney. I've already had a small taste of certified parts pricing, and much prefer to go back to the experimental market as soon as I can.

Free Vacation

Bryan,
If you had your RV, you could go to the Caribbean with the RV'ers for free! Save a thousand dollars on gas for the trip, and it's free, right? At least I've heard that about "sales" before; how you save money, by spending..... Glad to see you back, and anxious to see you later this spring somewhere warm and pretty!

Jim Baker
RV-6

No RV NO Good

I know what it is like to be without an RV. NO good. If I was not going to be 65 this year I would have started a RV10. Instead I have a Cessna 180J. Bought it Dec 2009. It is like new, a rare find, 1000 TT. It has carried us from Texas to Idaho Montana and New York. It has served as a great traveling ,camping machine.
I owned a V35P for 800+ hours great airplanes.
My RV 8 is still here and flys daily. Mostly local flights..
Having the choice is tough. But! A RV8 would be a good addition to your Bonanza. Build it VFR for those local fun run days.

Last edited:
Nice looking Bonanza! The "S" was the lightest with the big Continental.
Looks like yours has a few mods too (windshield and fresh air scoop).
I always thought of my RV-6 as a cross between a Bonanza and a Super
Cub. If I could have two, the Bo would be at the top of the list.

One year on the way back from OSH, 4 of us from the SoCal wing were
in formation at cruise altitude and we passed an early model Bo like it
was chained to a post! We were pretty proud of ourselves in our
garage built airplanes with our wheels welded down and locked! Ah but our
love was new then....... Your "S" would fare much better.....

RV-3....RV-3....RV-3....RV-3....

I'd like to hear from repeat builders. In my mind enjoying the build will be more of a player the second time around. The first I just wanted to start flying.

Well, as a repeat offender myself, let me plant a very dangerous seed....you should think about building a -3! AS a complement to your Bo, it would be ideal - the local flyer, just for yourself, made to fit you like a glove. more of a challenge than the modern kits, it is wonderful therapy for a true builder. If you decide up front that the Bo is your traveler, and you build the -3 very simple for nothing but local flying, it could be amazing. Plan it with a rebuilt motor in mind, and you might even call it cheap.

I am having a ball building the -3B with Louise (since you've been away, go take a look in the -3 forums for some of our posts), and as much as I am looking forward to flying it, there will be an empty spot in our lives when it is done...guess it will be time to build something else then!

Paul

Hi my name is Brian and I am an RV addict:)

Hi my name is Jim and I am a former RV owner just like you Brian.

Welcome to rehab.

Someday if I get my medical back I think a 10 is in my future if I can afford it after the divorce.

Glad to hear from you guys.

Missed you.

Bryan,

Glad to see you "sort of" back. I would love to have the extra seat capacity of an RV-10, but certainly can't afford one at this point. Maybe a group airplane of some sort (I would be in for this, depending on location)? But I suppose the logistics on that would be daunting.

cheers,
greg

Bryan,
I like Paul's idea about the -3, but if you still want to take Sherri along (and who wouldn't? :D), why not consider a -12 as your fun flyer? Perhaps not as much "he-man" builder's panache as a -3, but it would give Sherri one less reason to whack you upside the head...

Welcome back, buddy! We missed you!

Bryan,
How timely..... I have been thinking about the same sort of thing. In fact, the Bonanza and the Cessna 180 were my two main choices. I've been flying my RV-8 (second build) for two years now, and my wife doesn't like it much - riding in the back. The RV-6 was better, but more room would be much better. And we have a grand-daughter on the way, so more seats may be a big plus. I do a lot of local flights right now, by myself, and I wouldn't be doing that in a Bonanza, but with retirement around the corner, longer trips with my wife are much more likely. I really need about 1/4 of an RV-10, and half of my RV-8 - which I could probably afford. I just need to find four or five people with the same kind of thinking - all based in Cincinnati...... I wish someone would start a business linking people with like interests in flying needs, within a tight geographic area together.

there is such business.. wwww.theapa.com

I do like the idea of a shared -10 while keeping two-seaters for local flying.. wish I had done that... though I'm happy with our Bonanza.

Thanks for all the nice replies. There are some good suggestions here regarding my problem and whether or not to pursue another RV. The idea of an RV-3B has kind of taken my thoughts somewhere new. This is really a good solution to all of this. This would fit the finance side of this, fill the RV niche, and it would be a great local flyer. A bare bones radio/gps combo only and light, light, light. I've always heard that the best flying RV from people that have flown many is a light 320 powered RV-4 with a wood prop. A 3B could possibly improve on even that.

As much as I'd like a 10 the tax man here in CA is just preventing this. Between use tax and insurance it'll be at least $5-6K per year down the toilet. Registering as a zippy zoombie 1 or something instead of and RV-10 is an option, but after sinking the dollars and time to make it happen if the FAA somehow put me down as having a 10 on the registration it would ruin the entire process.

The direction of some of RV experiences since I backed away is interesting to to say the least.

Jim P., sorry to hear about your medical, and on another level I'm lacking for words on the other news. I'm very sorry to hear this.

Gary Zilik, the thought police here on VAF??? Am I reading this right? You gotta know I'm smiling at this one. Good on you Gary. I agree on the 185 Cessna type plane, that'd be pretty cool to go to the places that a backcountry misison would allow. There are so many choices out there, so limited money in my situation. :confused: So how's the RV-3 going? Did you keep the wings or trade them off to slow build?

Moose... We have room in the plane, so see if somebody has room in their cottage in the Bahamas next year. Georgia is on our way and stopping would be no problem at all.

Jimmy B... Can't wait. One of my favorite memories of our last trip was watching you and Vicki hovering inches above the coral resting perfectly still watching a small spider like crab as I tried to watch along with you, But while you were steady I was ascending and decending 6-8 feet as I took breathes. I remember laughing out loud into my mask at my lack of technique. Also I just told the story of your Meyers find to somebody recently. That is like folklore to me.

Tom... I've been around RV's long enough to not make assumptions about their performance. The S35 Bonanza does scoot along pretty good and I think trying to one up each other would just run both of us out of gas with little proved. I remember Rosie being able to come and go at will within a gaggle to take pictures and I think he had a bone stock 180hp Lyc. My little 0-320 was working hard when he was able to do that.

Rad... I've been following your plight as well on the Beech site. I don't know what made you pull the trigger, but when the economy dropped the prices a $50,000 spread between the value of my RV and the Beech dropped to almost a straight across trade. It seemed like time to pull the trigger if I was ever going to. I'm sure you are aware of the others that have done the same thing. I seriously considered an F33 but having talked to a fellow RV'er who happened to run the NTSB about V-Tails he took away the fear of them. He was an accident investigator at Beech prior to the NTSB. he was a huge player in my decision. I think you may have made the smarter purchase though.

Paul D... Your suggestion may have just altered my life. Thank you for taking time to post. Everything you said seemed to fit like a glove.

If I missed you, no disrespect intended. It is great fun to check back and try to figure out the changes, and what is still the same. This is a great bunch of folks here.

Bryan,

I also made a lateral move from my RV to a '76 F33A (a nicely equipped one).. Then another local RV owner sold his beautiful -7 and became partner in my plane.. A few more things and we'll have an almost new plane. We've made a lot of changes recently..

But, this is the reason why I switched from the two-seater, which I dearly miss... just couldn't fit these guys in my -7A :)

IMG_3010.JPG

When Mark grows up I hope to build another RV with his help..

Bryan,
I like Paul's idea about the -3, but if you still want to take Sherri along (and who wouldn't? :D), why not consider a -12 as your fun flyer? Perhaps not as much "he-man" builder's panache as a -3, but it would give Sherri one less reason to whack you upside the head...
I'd take a -4 over a -12 any day. The kit price on a -4 is only $2K more than the -3. Engine, prop avionics cost should be similar, so the total completed cost of a -4 shouldn't be too much more than a -3.

The kit price on a -4 is only $2K more than the -3. Engine, prop avionics cost should be similar, so the total completed cost of a -4 shouldn't be too much more than a -3.

Completely agree. It would be hard for me to justify a -3 (YMMV) when the capability to give others a ride is so easily added in the -4 for the same money. Then again, either one is a sweet ride! If single seat was my mission, i'd probably convert 20-25k into a clean one-hole Pitts.