Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
If you read this today, check your log book tonight for your BFR renewal date. While you're at it, check the medical too.

I was putting in some instrument approaches I did last night with a friend who is a CFI in the log book and thought to myself......self, wonder when your BFR is due. Oh sugar (close enough), it's past!!!!

Called friend and did it this afternoon.

Last edited:
Check your insurance too...

If you read this today, check your log book tonight for you BFR renewal date. While you're at it, check the medical too.

I was putting in some instrument approaches I did last night with a friend who is a CFI in the log book and thought to myself......self, wonder when your BFR is due. Oh sugar (close enough), it's past!!!!

Called friend and did it this afternoon.

...if you want to renew it in your plane. Mine ran out, and with an expired BFR you cannot be PIC.

Your instructor would then have to meet the PIC insurance requirements of your plane, which might, or might not be, a problem.

If your BFR has not yet expired, then you can be PIC during the renewal flight.

Guess how I found out....:) But I solved it with a flight in my instructors C-210....:)

That is obviously a young man problem

Both of mine are due at the end of October 2010. When I get them I thank God for two more years and I am already sweating October 31, 2010.

Bob Axsom

Not a BFR anymore

...and if you want to impress your friends and neighbors, and CFI's, it is not called a BFR anymore, simply called a Flight Review.....

I have a dry erase board mounted in my hangar.

I keep it updated to show when the next oil change, condition inspection, ELT battery replacement, Transponder re-cert, and medical are due.

I also use it to keep track of my "to do" list of minor squawks, improvements, etc.

I find it to be a very good system for the $3 I invested in the board and pen.

Uh, check! It becomes a non issue at the rate that ratings are being sought and acquired around here recently... (next up, +1 Commercial)

No rest with this crowd. I don't give a rat's behind what you want to call it.

Bet you a C note that somebody out peaked in their log book just to be sure. I'ld be willing to bet another C note that there is somebody that read this post has an over due flight review that must be completed on a biannual basis.

No rest with this crowd. I don't give a rat's behind what you want to call it.

Bet you a C note that somebody out peaked in their log book just to be sure. I'ld be willing to bet another C note that there is somebody that read this post has an over due flight review that must be completed on a biannual basis.

I bet your right Webb, I am lucky enough (I think) that the Part 135 check rides I have to take at work count............

So now we just call it an "FR"? That ain't gonna work.:cool:

Another good thing to check (it's manditory) is your transponder certification. Even experimentals need to be certified every two years (VFR aslo) according to the local FSDO FAA folks. Ask me know I know. :mad:

Last edited:
BFR overdue - Congrats - You're self insured

So now we just call it an "FR"? That ain't gonna work.:cool:

I called it that and few other things (hehe).

Seriously, the ONLY point I was making on the first post is to look at your log book and check if you are due. As with the other posts on safety, I openly admit my blunder and hope I can help someone else before they stub their toe. The amount most of these folks here fly would suggest they are proficient. Just not legal if it is overdue.

We can all laugh at the the good natured pokes that happen around here but this one ain't funny.........If your BFR (and I'm going to call if that because it is a flight review and it's due on a biannual basis and every pilot in here knows what it means and I'm not trying to impress anybody with my suave demonstration of the FAR/AIM), it is my understanding that you are self insured because your insurance will not cover you. If that doesn't concern you in this day and time, then you are probably doing low level aerobatics these days because you must be fearless.

Enough of the dark side. I know that I would be a hundred bucks up right now because I know that one of you has looked at their log book to be sure since I introduced self doubt. The only question is would I have to pay it back out.

I have a dry erase board mounted in my hangar.

I keep it updated to show when the next oil change, condition inspection, ELT battery replacement, Transponder re-cert, and medical are due.

yea, but, Kyle your so much more organized than the vast majority of us

Kyle's suggestion is good. I am going to use it since it is easy to miss one of these important items.

Kyle's suggestion is good. I am going to use it since it is easy to miss one of these important items.

Just use a fat Sharpie to write it on the metal. Dry erase comes off too easily. Acetone will take it off the metal............

cheap bfr

For all you people who are as cheap as me and do not own a plane yet, I did my BFR in an glider. Much cheaper and counts just the same. More fun too.

Johnny stick
RV10 wanna be sitting in Puerto rico thinking of airplanes and flying things

I did my BFR in an glider. Much cheaper and counts just the same. More fun too.
It counts, as long as you have a glider rating on your certificate. Just taking an hour of dual in a glider and getting a sign off will not suffice. The BFR (FR, biannual, whatever you want to call it) must be flown in a category and class of aircraft for which the pilot holds a certificate.

Glider BFR

Jeff,
You are right , I got my glider ticket in high school through the boy scouts. I can't tell you how many times I have thermaled up a Cessna 152 or 172 spam can, but of course the RV guys never have to do this!

Cheers
J. stick