twcroy

I recently got my plane back to Hyde Field in the DC area and am looking forward to getting her settled in.

Question, anyone finish their PPL in their 9A? Believe this is possible and probably preferable to gain more experience in her. I basically only have the check ride left at this point.

Thanks,
Tim

I am going.........

to Solo in my RV6 right after the 1st of the year. Feel confident enough to do it now, but will wait until after Christmas. I have a total of 26 hours in my RV, about 140 landings. So what you plan is very doable. Hope to take my check ride some time in February.

Just be careful. These little buggers are so fast it really magnifies any error quickly. ie, altitude, bearing and really sensitive under the hood.

Last edited:
I think that is a great idea. As a CFI who has trained students in their RV's, the more familiar you are with your airplane, the better. It may be a little more difficult than in a C-150, but the advantage of gaining further expertise in your -9A far outweighs any disadvantages. I think the DPE may really enjoy it too. My last student said his DPE asked if he could do one loop around the pattern in his RV-10. Of course my student said "yes sir, anything you want sir" :D --- Like a kid in a candy store. GO FOR IT!

I was always under the impression that you could not perform a checkride in an experimental. Am I mis-informed?

1) An aircraft of U.S. registry for each required test that—

(i) Is of the category, class, and type, if applicable, for which the applicant is applying for a certificate or rating; and

(ii) Has a standard airworthiness certificate or special airworthiness certificate in the limited, primary, or light-sport category.

ahhh... I should have kept reading:

(2) At the discretion of the examiner who administers the practical test, the applicant may furnish—

(i) An aircraft that has an airworthiness certificate other than a standard airworthiness certificate or special airworthiness certificate in the limited, primary, or light-sport category, but that otherwise meets the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section;

That's great to know!!

Insurance may be an issue.

I had to add my CFI to the insurance policy of the plane before he felt comfortable with instructing in mine.

Thanks

Thanks All,

I added the CFI to my insurance also. Appreciate the help / insight.

Happy Holidays,
Tim

I am in about the same spot in my training. Just needed to get the manuevers down better and get ready for checkride. I just bought this plane and wanted to finish up in the -9. I found a CFI and found aninsurance company that would accept me as a student pilot and have been flying. The DE we talked to had concerns with no VOR but said as long as the GPS in mounted in the panel he would do the checkride. Good news.