RONSIM

Well Known Member
New unit from True Flight (http://www.aviationsafety.com/flight_cheetahfl150.html)

I just ordered mine, based on my great experience with the Flight Cheetah 190 we use in our Lance. I wanted something a little smaller for the RV-8A and RV-10 I fly. After looking at all the units available on the market now, I went back to the True Flight unit. I have been using the Lowrance 2000C, but having too many issues with the buttons failing to work. The Garmins are nice, but I like a touch screen and the far less expensive subscriptions.

The Flight Cheetahs (three models) are true electronic flight bags with all enroute charts, plates, sectionals, weather, etc. and lots of options -- experience with the 190 in the Lance is over about 18 months and really appreciate the capabilities.

Does the Flight Cheetah 150 output NMEA information? I couldn't find it in the literature

Thanks

NEMA Output unknown

but you can give them a call -- we don't use the 190 to drive anything, so I never asked the question -- the 150 uses different hardware --- their phone no. is 866-443-3342.

XM Weather on both the 150 and 190

The weather upgrade is the weather-worx system which has the extra box and antenna --- unlike the Garmin where everything is built-in - bluetooth or wired system are the options.

Have you received your FL150 yet? If so, how about a full PIREP? Or at least initial impressions. I'm kinda interested in one myself.

Thanks,

Received the New FLT CHT 150

Got it yesterday and have doing all of the exercises --- I like it really well and the software works just like the version on the 190 we have in the Lance. The computer is Korean and comes with Windows XP --- works great -- I am currently in my easy chair at home, playing with it. It did not come with any kind of mount, other than the clip-in case. I will have to figure a way to mount it (velcro to an existing RAM mount I have from my Lowrance).

The screen size is such that my fingers are a little large for the really small buttons, but most are useable -- for the small ones, I just use the included stylus.

Would you say that this unit gives you all of the functionality of a Garmin 496 (e.g. terrain, Wx, Airspace warnings, etc.)?

I am considering one of their units to replace my 496 since I cancelled XM service. I would really like the EFB funtions, and in correspondence with them they indicated that they will at a later date support displaying ADS/B weather and TFRs, etc.

clear.gif
Would you say that this unit gives you all of the functionality of a Garmin 496 (e.g. terrain, Wx, Airspace warnings, etc.)?

I am considering one of their units to replace my 496 since I cancelled XM service. I would really like the EFB funtions, and in correspondence with them they indicated that they will at a later date support displaying ADS/B weather and TFRs, etc.

This is what i'm thinking about getting http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-496-Weather-Americas/dp/B002AVHLTA

Has all the features, at lower cost

My Flight Cheetah 150 and the 190 have all the features of the 496 and 696 at a much lower subscription cost --- the approach plates, sectionals, enroutes, etc. are easy to read and maneauver through -- I am sorry now that I did not go ahead and spring for the XM weather, but I will def. add that -- in addition, for the bucks, you can add a solid-state attitude indicator and the Zaon traffic. I have now made a mount for my 150, utilizing the RAM mount from my Lowrance, fabricating an aluminum plate and using velcro for the attachment.

Sunlight readability?

In a bubble canopy always the big question......

Anyone look at the "new&improved" unit from Anywhere Map? I guess Samsung improved the Q1 but I have not found a spec on the screen as far as nits is concerned.

Anywhere, Cheetah, and FLight Prep all seem to be hold an advantage over 696 subscription costs but readability in an RV environment remains a question.

PIREPS anyone?

In a bubble canopy always the big question......

Anyone look at the "new&improved" unit from Anywhere Map? I guess Samsung improved the Q1 but I have not found a spec on the screen as far as nits is concerned.

Anywhere, Cheetah, and FLight Prep all seem to be hold an advantage over 696 subscription costs but readability in an RV environment remains a question.

PIREPS anyone?

When I can't see my Lowrance 600c, nor the Icom A-210 screen, my Garmin 696 doesn't even give a hint of un-readability. It's as bright and crisp as ever!
Just so you all know... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Been Looking

I have been looking at the 150 and curious from those that have it how the IAP's and charts look? The biggest thing that turned me off to the new AV8OR Ace was the low resolution making it difficult to read view the instrument approach plates and L-Charts.

Resolution and clarity seem good

I did look at the AV8OR and others, including Anywhere Map --- the 150 and 190 have very good resolution and the charts, approach plates and enroutes are easy to read. I do agree with an earlier post, that if the sunlight is directly on the screen, it does washout --- like everyone I have seen (not tried the 696 under those conditions).

I will be doing the first test flight of a well-equipped RV-10 Saturday, but I intend to have the 150 and my hand-held comm with me.

No NMEA Yet On The 150 But It Is Coming!

I talked to the company on Monday and they are working on getting a NMEA output. It's going to be a while and I'm not sure if a software or firmware update to the units will be necessary. They are working with Trio on the coding issues for compatibility.

SEVERE DISAPPOINTMENT

Guys, and gals, --- sorry, but after flying a while with the 150, I have to say the software is extremely good and lives up to my expectations -- unforturately the hardware is not acceptable. the screen brightness is very poor and really not readable in an RV cockpit -- also, the screen is like a plasma display in that it reflects, almost like a mirror. Love the software and Trueflight programming, but it needs to be put on different hardware.:(

Hi all, We had a customer forward this discussion to us, so we thought we should respond. The RV's with the bubble canopies are particularly vulnerable to sunlight. Some customers are able to use the FL150 or FL190 in an area that's hooded or shaded, which may or may not be possible depending on how the panel is set up. The better option is the FL210S which is extremely bright and sunlight readable (1000 nits), on par with your $10-$15K panel mounts. The capabilities of all three units are the same. Happy Flying! Rob Kalberer, True Flight Inc.

True Flight support excellent - exchange for the 210-S

Hey, folks --- because I fly mostly RVs, with very bright cockpits, Rob has offered to exchange my 150 for the 210-S. The difference in price is well worth it, to me. The 190 is working just fine in our Lance, but the airplane has much less visibility and cockpit brightness than the RVs. I cannot say enough good things about the support, software, and updates on the Flight Cheetah line.