jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
I inadvertently drilled one of the canopy decks thru the longeron for 1/8" rivets instead of the 3/32 rivets called for. I caught my mistake and drilled the other side correctly. I know I could drill the 3/32 out to 1/8 so both side match but I would rather use cheater rivets-those with the 3/32 countersunk head size but 1/8 shaft dia (NAS 1097 AD4). Is there a limit on how many of these cheater rivets you can use in a row on a piece like this? I couldn't find anything about this in the "Aircraft Inspection & Repair Manual"-AC 43.13 but I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit on how many you can use.

Thanks for your input.

Jimbo
RV9A fuselage stage

I inadvertently drilled one of the canopy decks thru the longeron for 1/8" rivets instead of the 3/32 rivets called for. I caught my mistake and drilled the other side correctly. I know I could drill the 3/32 out to 1/8 so both side match but I would rather use cheater rivets-those with the 3/32 countersunk head size but 1/8 shaft dia (NAS 1097 AD4). Is there a limit on how many of these cheater rivets you can use in a row on a piece like this? I couldn't find anything about this in the "Aircraft Inspection & Repair Manual"-AC 43.13 but I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit on how many you can use.

Lot's of different answers on this one. The "cheater" would have more holding power in shear than the 3/32 due to thickness. A bit less in tension (I'm supposing), but not that much less because it has a dome on top which also adds to the material when squeezed.

Some notes from post/replies from the past. Here & Matronics forum:

Some airliner fuse skins are held mostly with what are known as cheater rivets. They are just a different number of rivet to Boeing/McDonald Douglas.

A former airliner builder who was on this forum (or could have been Matronics), stated that he'd prefer to build an RV with what are known around here as cheater rivets.

When Van's was asked, they didn't really know, as they has never built and tested an airplane with a lot of cheater rivets. Would certainly be heavier.

Personally, I'd like to see a pull test for both shear and tension. Rivet both types to aluminum/steel straps and then attach each.... to ends of a cable which ride over a wheel on the end of a cheap engine hoist. See which breaks first! :D

As to your case, the 1/8 rivets would probably work on both sides, as the longerons get 1/8" rivets in other areas. But always get more opinions first. Can even ask Van's. And you might still be somewhat confused in the end! :)

L.Adamson ---- RV6A