rightrudder

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

Anybody put a little motor/counterweight setup from a pager or video game controller in or on the control stick? I'm thinking of doing this in addition to the stall warning tone. I'll have to experiment, but I think if it were mounted rigidly, it could be positioned externally and below the stick boot yet still be effective.

Hi guys,

Anybody put a little motor/counterweight setup from a pager or video game controller in or on the control stick? I'm thinking of doing this in addition to the stall warning tone. I'll have to experiment, but I think if it were mounted rigidly, it could be positioned externally and below the stick boot yet still be effective.

If you have a modern EFIS here's an AOA driven one: http://store.makerplane.org/swzl-1-stick-shaker/

I'd imagine you could take the same motor assembly and just wire it to the stall warning switch if you want.

Just remember...this isn't FBW. Anything that's shaking the stick is also shaking the control surfaces.

Not sure I'd want to put any kind of sinusoidal inputs into my control surfaces, personally.

The plane will tell you when she's about to stall, if you're paying attention...

You will want something lower frequency and higher amplitude than a pager or phone buzzer. In a busy moment under stress, you won't even notice that buzz over the engine/airframe vibration. But still not needed....

You will want something lower frequency and higher amplitude than a pager or phone buzzer. In a busy moment under stress, you won't even notice that buzz over the engine/airframe vibration. But still not needed....
Good point. You wouldn't want it as the sole input. If done right, I'm sure it could be felt distinctly, and would be more of a buzz than a shake.

If you have a modern EFIS here's an AOA driven one: http://store.makerplane.org/swzl-1-stick-shaker/

I'd imagine you could take the same motor assembly and just wire it to the stall warning switch if you want.

I've been flying the SWZL-1A for several months in my RV-9A. I have developed visual indicators for AoA in the past, and the stick shaker, or buzzer, is vastly superior for VFR pilots.

It is a lot harder to ignore the haptic feedback of the stick shaker than a visual indicator, even in the line of sight. When you are fixated on a target down the runway, for example, your brain won't register AoA information on a visual indicator.

Audio warnings work well, but they can alarm passengers. A stick shaker, however, does not.

For those critical of stick shakers that say the stall buffet is all you need.... try that at 50' on approach. The stick shaker is set up to progressively warn you of an increasing AoA, not just an impending stall where you have no excess energy to recover. And a stick shaker won't induce flutter... it only activates for slow flight.

The SWZL-1A does not use a sinusoidal buzzing, but rather a progressive, pulsed vibration that is more difficult to ignore and won't activate resonances in the linkages.

It works with Dynon and Garmin EFIS systems or an external stall vane switch.

Cheers

When you are fixated on a target down the runway, for example, your brain won't register AoA information on a visual indicator.

Not if you're not looking at it, that's true...but *aural* indications don't depend on looking at the EFIS.

One shouldn't be *fixated* on a target on the runway, in any case. :)

Does your stick shaker not operate above a certain airspeed? Just curious, because as we all know, you can stall the plane at any airspeed, of course.

I've been flying the SWZL-1A for several months in my RV-9A. I have developed visual indicators for AoA in the past, and the stick shaker, or buzzer, is vastly superior for VFR pilots.

It is a lot harder to ignore the haptic feedback of the stick shaker than a visual indicator, even in the line of sight. When you are fixated on a target down the runway, for example, your brain won't register AoA information on a visual indicator.

Audio warnings work well, but they can alarm passengers. A stick shaker, however, does not.

For those critical of stick shakers that say the stall buffet is all you need.... try that at 50' on approach. The stick shaker is set up to progressively warn you of an increasing AoA, not just an impending stall where you have no excess energy to recover. And a stick shaker won't induce flutter... it only activates for slow flight.

The SWZL-1A does not use a sinusoidal buzzing, but rather a progressive, pulsed vibration that is more difficult to ignore and won't activate resonances in the linkages.

It works with Dynon and Garmin EFIS systems or an external stall vane switch.

Cheers
Nice looking system, Vern. What frequency and g-level does the shaker motor provide? It is amazing what I can tune out when I am busy.

Thanks.