salty

Well Known Member
Helping a friend with his avionics choices. He's got his panel sorted except for transponder, ADSB out and IFR GPS.

He's trying to go budget, so he's looking for the cheapest solution, with weight being the second most important factor.

My thought is a GNX-375, which would cover them all in a fairly small package. It's a bit more than he wanted to spend, but I can't see a cheaper way to go and still have an approach capable GPS.

Anything I'm missing?

You could probably cobble together a solution of used items for a small amount less, such as an Echo UAT + SkyFYX, GPS 175 and any old transponder. Used KT76As are almost free nowadays.

However, I had to make this same decision last year and eventually ended up with the GNX 375.

You didn't mention ADSB In, but you get that with the GNX 375. I see ADSB In as sort of mandatory for my flying at this point.

May not be cheapest, but Trig TT22/GRT SafeFly 2020 is probably most simple and lightest solution.

Trig TT-22, Garmin 175.
The TT 22 main box is remote mounted; controlled by its own small panel box, or a GRT or Dynon EFIS. Probably want to add a low cost adsb-in.

Hard to beat the GNX-375 value (cough, cough...) for XPNDR,/ADS-B in/out and GPS navigator.
Especially if you have a G3X.

I keep coming back to the panel I have when looking at alternatives for the new build.
G3X, GNX-375, GTR-200B, GMC-507. Nice, powerful setup that just "works".
Could remote the comm, but I like having the knob. Would probably drop the bluetooth since most ANC headsets have that now.

I am soooo loving that A/P on x-countries!

+1 for the GNX375, I replaced the GTX 327, GDL 393D, GDL 82, and aera 796 with the 375 and an aera 760. System works well and talks to my legacy TT AP and Dynon D100 HSI. The 375 talks to foreflight also which gives you geolocated approach plates if you do not have another larger display (I use the 760). You get a lot of functionality in one box and I reused the 327 and gdl 82 antennas so I did not even have to mees with that wiring/installation.
Figs

Helping a friend with his avionics choices. He's got his panel sorted except for transponder, ADSB out and IFR GPS.l

Anything I'm missing?

My thought is that your friend’s approach is not the best one. These days so many things communicate (or don't!) with other things that you really should consider the entire panel, what works and what doesn’t work, before deciding on anything. e.g., choice of adsb-in box may depend on its software compatibility with whatever displays are available. If you choose 1090 MHz for adsb-out, can your gps choice communicate with your transponder choice? Can your EFIS choice send the other required data to the mode S-ES transponder, and can it read that data? Another thing: I assumed new equipment. But your friend can save some money (that was requirement #1, right?) by buying, for example, a used 400W/420W/430W, and assuming the risk of no or limited warranty, unknown support lifetime, etc. Similarly, good used mode C transponders are available at bargain basement prices. Of course, you then need a 970 MHz approach to adsb-out. Everything depends on everything else!

I think the hardest part of this is the LPV (hence WAAS) GPS navigator. The used 430W etc. just aren't enough cheaper to make much sense to not upgrade to a new unit. And with that we are spending some real (in my opinion) money.

I think the hardest part of this is the LPV (hence WAAS) GPS navigator. The used 430W etc. just aren't enough cheaper to make much sense to not upgrade to a new unit. And with that we are spending some real (in my opinion) money.
Certainly the cost of the TSO'd gps is the most expensive item. I won't go off on my soapbox about that! The 430W is cheaper, though, than the 175, and includes a com and a nav too. I tend to agree with you about the cost differential not being enough to justify the 430W. But, it's the OP's money, his call.

If you get an EchoUAT ($1000) and a GPS175 ($4600 - $5000) you don’t need the SkyFYX, you can get the waas signal from the GPS175. Also the EchoUAT has both In n Out. I would get a Garmin 327 ($500) xpndr instead of KT-76A.

GNX375, $7400 - $7800

Last edited:
+1 for GNX-375. I went that route in my Cessna because I needed a transponder (ADS-B in/out) and a GPS w/ LPV approaches. It has been excellent and a heck of a lot cheaper than the GTX-345 and any GPS combined.