rph142

Well Known Member
I'm starting to have serious concerns that my refinery will be shutting down sometime next year, which would of course put me out of a job. Meanwhile, I have my RV-3B all paid for and basically finished minus just one component - the $8500 Skyview EFIS, Transponder, GPS combo. I REALLY want to get this thing in the air later this year or early next, but dont want to empty my wallet incase work shuts down next year. Im looking for any ideas for how I can finish this off with what i have for as cheap as possible.

What I have:
two panels - one blank and and one that loos like this:
34snout.jpg

So I have the Dynon EMS wiring package installed, 2 1/4" airspeed, mgl radio, and some switches on the side.

Any suggestions?

Look in the FAR'S...

to see what is required for day VFR (or night if you are flying at night too). Install that...guaranteed to be significantly more affordable than what you are planning on installing now. What do you want or what do you NEED?

A D180 ~ $3600 new, less if used
A used KT76A xponder ~$600
A used X96 GPS $600

It should all fit in that big hole you got there. Just make a subpanel to mount it in that fits that hole.

Upgrade to the Skyview later if the job holds out..

Last edited:
Since you already have the wiring installed, the easiest option might be a used Dynon D-180.

Since the harness to the engine is common, a later upgrade to the Skyview would not be to difficult.

Sorry, sold mine a couple of weeks ago...:)

There are frequently used steam gauges available in the classifieds. With those and a cheap handheld all you'll need is a transponder and you're flying.

Dave

And unless you live under Class B or C airspace, you could probably do without the transponder. The -4 I currently fly didn't have one when I bought it about 8 years ago, & still doesn't.

Grand Rapids has some air data options for their EIS; it might be worth a look to cover all your bases in a VFR-only plane.

Charlie

Temporary or Permanent?

Rob,
Will the "cheaper" option be a temporary solution? Or will it be permanent? For a temporary fix, you could get a Rocky Mountain MicroEncoder [$350 to $500 used, depending on if it comes with the magnetometer and condition]. A hand-held GPS could also be used.
The MicroEncoder contains an encoder, airspeed indicator, VSI and altimeter. It also has an OAT gauge. For more info, go to the web site and click on the links for the MicroEncoder [aka uEncoder] See

http://www.rkymtn.com/

This is just one option.

Charlie
PS The MicroEncoder could be left in once you get your "permanent" solution. It would provide a nice back up of all your primary instruments.

Last edited:
And unless you live under Class B or C airspace, you could probably do without the transponder. The -4 I currently fly didn't have one when I bought it about 8 years ago, & still doesn't.

Charlie

in today's airspace i'd consider this a personal minimum, i want people to see me and have every chance to avoid me

You're going to get a million replies, but I'd suggest giving a look at MGL. You can get a Voyager or Odyssey for $3,900. That already has built in GPS and Autopilot (although you need servos). Of course, engine monitoring is built in, too, but you would need their RDAC ($200 to $330 depending on what you want), and you would need their AHRS modules ($1,060).

A complete package for a hair over $5,000. Then you only need your transponder. So maybe it only saves you $2,000...but you would retain all the functionality you started with.

It looks like I can finish it off to the VFR mins for about 775 bucks plus maybe $800 for a used transponder. That would save $7000 vs the Skyview setup and about $3100 vs the D180 setup. I might do this right now and pull it next year at this time if the situation at work improves.

On the other hand, I have everything wired up for an efis.

It should all fit in that big hole you got there. Just make a subpanel to mount it in that fits that hole.
I like the subpanel idea for a used D180

Since the harness to the engine is common, a later upgrade to the Skyview would not be to difficult.

Sorry, sold mine a couple of weeks ago...
Today 12:00 PM
How much did you get for it if you dont mind? Ive been looking, but they seem to be rare.

Last edited:
And unless you live under Class B or C airspace, you could probably do without the transponder.

The traffic detector in my plane uses transponder returns for its input. If you don't have one, I might not be aware of you.

If you've got one, keep the darn thing on!

Thank,
Dave

I second the recommendation of installing a subpanel and mounting something cheaper in it for the interim. Steam gauges and a used transponder shouldn't run you more than $2K. Another option might be an iPad-based eFIS, there is a company that makes a Bluetooth AHARS box that communicates with an iPad. It would fit that 10" space nicely, and come with maps and in-flight movies too... :)

D180 For Sale

Hi Rob, I have a D180 system that I'd like to sell. I know and love GRT, so I would like to sell the Dynon system in Tony Boy (Spicer's old -3B) and replace it with a GRT Sport SX and EIS. It powers on and appears to function just fine, but it did go through the tornado so I'm not sure what to ask for it. PM me if you're interested...

Too cool

Katie, that is so cool, watching Tony-boy's resurrection! Wow...like he's just biding his time in appreciation of your efforts!:)

Soon, he'll be full of gratitude and rewards:)

Good on ya,

Katie, Im interested in your D180. I'll send you a pm today.

BTW, that is impressive work you guys are doing on Tonys old 3. I drilled out the skins on my HS in an attempt to salvage the first twisted version, so I have an appreciation for your project. From the pics it looks like his fwf came through without a scratch?

Hey Rob - just saw this thread. Sorry to hear that you're facing uncertain times, but glad to see that you're looking at it all realistically. The RV-3 doesn't NEED very much to go fly, and upgrading along the way is pretty easy for someone with building experience. The D-180 in Louise's plane ahas done well for a number of years now, and if you're going to be mostly VFR, you might never decide to upgrade....

Keep on building!

Paul

Paul's words are spot on Rob...save the dough for the potential "storm" on your horizon, and get the 3B flying with the D180.

I tend to agree that you'll have reservations about taking it down for an upgrade once you experience the thrill it's gonna give you in the air! :cool:

I have my panel! I decided to go with a cheap used kt-67A transponder ($695 with tray, harness, and antenna) and Katies D180. Its not the cheapest option, but its certainly the best bang for the buck. If things turn around at work I'll be able pull the transponder and efis in a few minutes. Thanks for the help!

low cost panel

Grand rapids EIS- 900 or so with probes.
used comm radio. 600
used transponder 600
Garmin aera GPS 1000-1200
air gizmo doc for gps 100
flight inst?? used steam gauge? Dynon D60- 1,900
switchs- 200

total: $5,500 aprox.