Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
I am basically a whisky compass and map kind of guy, but I have to admit this GPS business has it's attractions. But I am cheap. I have occasionally used my fancy Garmin GPS, destined for my RV7A, in my RV4. I leave it on the floor (protected by a soft towel) and occasionally look at to see how I am doing. It is nice to have GPS on a long trip so I recently bought a Garmin 195 on ebay for $70, my kind of money. It works great but it is kind of bulky. The data base dates back to Bill and Monica but for me it is fine.

So here is my question.

Is there a smaller, cheap GPS out there that would do about the same thing as the G195? I want to mount it vertically on the canopy frame so I could see it better and not have to pick it up from the floor to look at it. I thought a Lowrance 500 might fit the bill but I'm unsure if it is that much smaller than the 195. How about a non-aviation GPS? Some of those are small and might do. I realize Lowrance is no longer supported but I don't mind, considering how I use it. Anyone here using a non-aviation GPS in this manner? Make and model? Thanks.

Be careful selecting a "non-aviation" GPS. Some of them max out at 100 mph. I've tried my Nuvi in the airplane and it will cover the speeds, but some won't.

gps

Garmin made a model 3600a. It must be the 'a' version. It is slightly bigger than an I-Phone. Touch screen. They never went over very well but I like mine. You may find one somewhere but be sure that it is a 3600a. 3600 was auto and did not have an aviation cradle or software.

If you can find an old Garmin GPS 92 aviation GPS, they are rather compact and skinny. I flew with one for many years and it worked very well. There are usually some used ones for sale on Ebay at any given time.

I thought a Lowrance 500 might fit the bill but I'm unsure if it is that much smaller than the 195.

This is a good choice. I think you would like this unit. Easy to see in full sun, easy on batteries, cheap to purchase. This is my back-up unit.

[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool. Answering a specific, technical question that can be verified with a source is of course allowed - and encouraged!
brandlogo.jpg
]

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the Garmin GPSMAP 96C. I got mine for $250 new several years ago, runs on AA batteries, seems to meet your requirements. Same data plug as the x96 series, so it can drive your TruTrak if your panel mount x96 fails.

Please excuse the non-RV photos (a high wing no less), but this is a good mounting location for it. I also use it in the sailplane. A little clunky in terms of screen size and menus, but it will do direct-to and show you speed, distance, ETE and glide slope to your destination (and other such things). Map is small, but does show Class B/C/D airspace just fine.

G96_ground_web.jpg

G96_inflight_web.jpg

TODR

Last edited:
Garmin GPS 196

THE best handheld I have used for the money. A used one can be picked up cheap. Battery powers it for 12-16 hours (don't use the back-lighting). (12vdc also available)

I used one in my Taylorcraft (no electric) for years.

Light weight and a display even I can read.

Black and White display but a true aviation GPS.

You can get a used one for a few hundred bucks.

I bought the 96C for my RV-3 for its small size. Screwed the hinged mount to the bottom of the panel so the GPS is in the middle of the 6 pack right below my electric T&B. Small keys and small display but does everything I need.
VCMaine

Last edited: