Battery Life?

The PC 680 in my EXP Super Cub has been in it since before the first flight April 2004. It still is good even on a cold day.
The PC680 in My RV8 is still going strong since mid 2007.
I have another one in the shop that still is good that was removed form a crashed airplane, it is dated 2002

The joy of a cheap price is long forgotten if the product is inferior, and has to be replaced.

Last edited:
AH is not the whole story, but...

There are alternatives to the PC6xx's that are *much* cheaper & will work just fine.

I couldn't find a datasheet for that particular battery, but I've used similar models, with the relatively thin terminals, in RV-4's. Most that I've seen with those thin terminals are somewhat limited in their 'cold cranking amps'. They are typically designed for slower discharge rates, as might be seen in an uninterrupt-able power supply. They will start an O-320, but with performance about equal to an old flooded cell a/c battery, & my experience is somewhat limited lifespan of maybe 2 years. If you choose this quality battery, I'd suggest picking one that's rated at 20 AH instead of 18. They typically fit the same mount dimensions, and can usually come closer to PC6xx performance at the really low price you're looking for.

Since the Odyssey is the 'gold standard', I'd suggest looking at the specs; you can go to
http://www.odysseybattery.com/literature.html
& click on 'Odessey Owners Manual' to see the specs. look for minimum 220 Cold Cranking Amps (higher is better), and around 7-8 milli-ohms internal resistance (lower is better).

There are other clones of the PC680 & PC625 that have been selling recently for $60-$80 shipped that are designed as direct replacements, capable of very high short term current dumps for starting.

Here are a couple from a company I recently used via Amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0WR_3?ie=UTF8&m=A2PVHCCZU2W0WR&n=&s=&v=glance

and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WR_10?ie=UTF8&m=A2PVHCCZU2W0WR&n=&s=&v=glance

If you use the big G & enter 'PC680' or 'PC625', you'll find dozens of good sources.

Hope that helps...

Charlie

Great Info

Thanks, Charlie; that is some great information. The CSOB of me just cannot spend double or treble the money when the cheap one looks just as good on paper. I understand it may not last as long, but I will give the cheap one a try and report back my experience; in a few years, I hope ;-)
Robin

Make sure and always read the fine print, some of the batteries noted as direct replacement are actually lead acid batteries and not glass mat.

A reasonable caution, but be sure that it's understood that the 'glass mat' batteries are, indeed, lead-acid batteries. Just distinguish between the new tech & old flooded cell designs.

It's fairly safe to say that if it will fit where a PC6xx fits, & crank a 360 cu in Lyc, it's probably *not* a flooded cell battery.

Charlie

I looked at a PC680 look-a-like when I replaced my battery. Then I kept remembering stories of laptop computers and cell phones with cheap Chinese made batteries catching fire, unexpectedly. Just the thought of that thing catching fire was enough to make me want only the Odyssey.

I've got a buddy with a PC680 in his RV-4 that's been in service for almost 7 years, and it's finally this winter not holding a charge very well and due for replacement.

Think he got his money's worth? :D:D:D

$34.90 and that includes shipping charges, probably from China?

There's no way this battery is a quality product. I'd be reluctant to put it in my lawn mower.

Last edited:
Just found a New PC 680 for $99.73 online... Smoking Hot Deal!

Got a link for that deal? My buddy with the RV-4 needs a new one.

$34.90 and that includes shipping charges, probably from China?

There's no was this battery is a quality product. I'd be reluctant to put it in my lawn mower.

David,

Not sure what you are looking at but here is the link to the $99 PC680:

http://plpbattery.com/batteries/odyssey/PC680.html

I had a $70 36Ah battery in my -6, very similar to the one asked about in this thread but larger.

It worked absolutely perfectly.

David,

Not sure what you are looking at but here is the link to the $99 PC680:

http://plpbattery.com/batteries/odyssey/PC680.html

That is a good deal for the PC680, I was referring to the Toyo battery highlighted in the original post.

I'd order that PC680 today but I do not need it, I've got a spare left over from the 2 battery Subby adventure and it sits on the shelf waiting for the RV-8. I hook up a charger to it now and then but it stays right at 12.5 to 12.8 volts. The other battery from the Subby is in the RV-7A out in Oregon with Jerry Cochran.

PC 680 from PLP Batteries

I just phone ordered the PC-680 from PLP and got a call back that they were out of stock. In discussion with the company I found out that they would not honor the $99.73 price. The price was (I believe) $136.xx PLUS $20 shipping.

I cancelled the order.

Mitch Garner
RV4 flying

I just phone ordered the PC-680 from PLP and got a call back that they were out of stock. In discussion with the company I found out that they would not honor the $99.73 price. The price was (I believe) $136.xx PLUS $20 shipping.

I cancelled the order.

Mitch Garner
RV4 flying

Well that bites!!! Bohannon it is then. :)

I tried to order from PPL and said i wanted two of the 680 at web price the girl said she didnt know there site had prices on it and they were $136.00 each and i would have to talk to the boss to get at that price but they were out of them and would not have some for a while.Called Batterymart and bought two @$114.00 with free shipping.

Take your pick

I used 2 of these in my RV-8 for 8 years.
I did replace them once, not because they didn't work anymore but it just didn't feel right to keep a $40 battery longer than 4 years.
In the 8 they were Panasonic but these clones are now available at the local ACE harware store. I have 2 in my 10 and they spin the prop at 400RPMs.
Not trying to convince anyone that this is a better choice, just saying it worked for me in the RV-8 for 450hrs, and now in the 10.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/404-612v-specialty-batteries/8029.html

I used 2 of these in my RV-8 for 8 years.
I did replace them once, not because they didn't work anymore but it just didn't feel right to keep a $40 battery longer than 4 years.
In the 8 they were Panasonic but these clones are now available at the local ACE harware store. I have 2 in my 10 and they spin the prop at 400RPMs.
Not trying to convince anyone that this is a better choice, just saying it worked for me in the RV-8 for 450hrs, and now in the 10.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/404-612v-specialty-batteries/8029.html

the same battery as in Post 1, Still a China knock off, but it sounds like you did well. One ad states AGM battery, the other does not, either way the ACE price is $5.00 cheaper... :eek:

Last edited:
I just received a nice wildlife calendar from the Bohannon folks. Just a nit but it could have been sent a month ago.

Well I didn't think I'd be posting here so soon; just a month ago I mentioned on another thread that my PC680 was at 5+ years and 875 hrs and was still going strong... apparently I jinxed it. We've had some cold mornings here in Houston lately and my 680 was really slow to crank. When it gets weak, it goes quick. Apparently the days of a $55 680 (2004 price) are long gone and the cheapest I could find was $115 w/ free shipping. So I decided to follow Pete Howell's lead and go for a Tempest BAB 22-12; $65 plus $20 shipping, $85 total. It looks like a 680 clone, AGM, same basic dimensions and weight, but I did have to file a bit off the lower edges to fit my aft mount battery tray. I have 5 hours on it so far and seems like it has plenty of cranking power... I like it.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=22

21mg4dw.jpg

Value

The PC 680 in my RV7 since 2004. It is still good this winter.

True cost and value of a component will include service life amorized over time of operation. With this considered the PC 680 is likely the least expensive battery for the application. Although there is more competition out there today than in 2004, so there may be a better deal out there.

I will buy another PC 680.