Falcon

My standard Falcon lasted 2 months and is considered a $400 THROWAWAY.
If you go electric I would consider spending the extra $1,000 and go with an integrated unitl like the Dynon. I now have to consider a rebuilt unit for the same cost. If I hads to do it over I would go electric.

AV-2 AHRS from MGL Avionics

What cheap backup electric attitude indicators are people using?

We don't have anything "cheap", but we do have something "low cost"! ;)

Have a look at the AV-2 with SP-4 and SP-2:
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/maxi_singles.html

Basic (ARS):
Display: US$180 (AV-2, there is also the AV-1 option)
SP-4 : US$900 (rate gyroscopes + accelerometers)
Optional (making it full AHRS) ...
SP-2 : US$200 (magnetometer / "compass")

This will give you a full AHRS. If you want to upgrade the "display" to an Enigma/Voyager/Odyssey later, you can retain the SP-2 and SP-4 sensors and just add the EFIS panel...

PS: No need to cage... (and no need for aiding like GPS or airspeed)

Last edited:
Can it share

Thanks Nicol,
Can it share the inputs with an Enigma Stratomaster? This would be a neat backup.

Thanks,

SP-2/4 with new AV-1/2 and Engima

Hi Pierre,
Thanks Nicol,
Can it share the inputs with an Enigma Stratomaster? This would be a neat backup.
Yes you can! And yes: you could run the AV-1/AV-2 + SP-2/4 off a backup battery for a LOOOONG time! :D

The Enigma/Odyssey (just about to start shipping) makes provision for 2 Airtalk bus connections... Now if you have the SP-4 and SP-2 connected together using the little ribbon cable, it leaves you with one Airtalk port spare (which you can use to connect the AV-1 or AV-2 to the Airtalk bus). Else a splitter lead is fine for the Airtalk bus.

On the topic of Smart Singles (AV-1's for example): we are a few weeks away from releasing our new set of small instruments: the Stratomaster Infinity range. The Infinity range will be replacing the Smart Singles. Be it VSI, ASI, altitude, AHRS - there is an Infinity to get the job done!

The improvement? New (classic aviation) standard 2.25 inch round (front or rear mountable) housing with integrated alarm light and a rotary control ... and most important of all: silver button finish! :cool:

Trust that answers your question :)

Best Regards,