rocketbob

Well Known Member
First off I have an iPad, a Dual XGPS150 external GPS for it, Skycharts and a Jepp subscription for approach plates. Works awesome.

I'm still planning on taking my iPad along with me in my Rocket but due to cockpit constraints in it, its a little to bulky to mount and I just don't want to deal with it every time I fly. So I'm thinking about getting a cheap Android tablet to put up in the corner of the panel where I have some room. Particularly the ViewSonic gTablet.

So are there any better cheap choices than the gTablet and how does Naviator compare to skycharts?

Kindle just came out with a new color model called Fire. Might not be a good option as it doesn't have 3G only wifi

Last edited:
Toshiba Thrive

So far, I'm happy with my Toshiba Thrive. I haven't had it in a plane yet, but the internal GPS works well in the car. It also has a user replaceable battery, allowing you to carry a charged-up spare if you want.

try avilution for maps

and weather and plates. Im using a samsung galaxy 10in. You might lookat the 7 in. Galaxy

DroidX - EEpad

I have a droidX and and EE-pad. Both run the software fine. The new EE-pad is suppose to have an LED backlight that may be better in the sun than the original.

I have the HTC Flyer which is a 7" tablet. Great battery life, reasonable sunlight readability, and has an optional stylus that allows the ability to write on any screen so excellent for replacing a separate kneeboard. Fits nicely on my thigh on my RV4. I run Naviator and am very impressed with its current features and the responsivness of the software author. There are some great new things that will be added in the near future.

true GPS

I have the HTC Flyer which is a 7" tablet. Great battery life, reasonable sunlight readability, and has an optional stylus that allows the ability to write on any screen so excellent for replacing a separate kneeboard. Fits nicely on my thigh on my RV4. I run Naviator and am very impressed with its current features and the responsivness of the software author. There are some great new things that will be added in the near future.

I have been testing this set up in my -4. However, in the great wide open spaces where I fly, it doesn't know where its at. I suspect the "GPS" is not really GPS... any thoughts.

ChrisM

I have been testing this set up in my -4. However, in the great wide open spaces where I fly, it doesn't know where its at. I suspect the "GPS" is not really GPS... any thoughts.

ChrisM

The internal GPS in the HTC Flyer is a GPS not a network derived positioning. Perhaps you do not have the GPS turned on?

XM

Dudes, I'm an Android user so I was considering getting a tablet for much the same thing. The poison pill for me, though, is that I don't want to spend any money on an in-flight mapping system that can't do weather. Is there any such thing as an XM weather receiver that can feed an iPad or Android tablet? And any software that takes advantage?

Is there any such thing as an XM weather receiver that can feed an iPad or Android tablet? And any software that takes advantage?

Navworx ADS600-B has a WIFI option that can feed weather to a tablet. However, the application must be able to support the appropriate data format. There are some apps on the Ipad that can do this, but I'm not aware of any on an Android tablet yet.

The next big advance in flying for the Ipad is to add XM ability. I suspect its less then a year if not months away. It should not be that difficult. I antenna/module with a blue tooth link to the Ipad. I finally broke down and purchased a 696 with the huge price drop however will continue to use the Ipad to insure I have up to date charts. At least until garmin drops the price to something less then a used car each year for updates!!!

George

The next big advance in flying for the Ipad is to add XM ability. I suspect its less then a year if not months away. It should not be that difficult. I antenna/module with a blue tooth link to the Ipad. I finally broke down and purchased a 696 with the huge price drop however will continue to use the Ipad to insure I have up to date charts. At least until garmin drops the price to something less then a used car each year for updates!!!

You really want WIFI as oppose to bluetooth if you care about battery life. Current draw is less with WIFI on the Iphone/Ipad.

Why pay for XM when you can get ADSB for free? Granted you have an initial investment for the ADS600-B. wingX and Forefront already support WIFI from the ADS600-B on the Ipad. You can get Bluetooth too, but it isn't recommended by the Navworx.