Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I've been meaning to drop this little tip on the forum for a couple of weeks, and was remiinded of it yesterday when I made a stop at Brenham(TX) for an ice cream break. I had made a trip there a couple of weeks ago, and with a gusty crosswind and a slightly sloped ramp, had to lasso the tailwheel with a tie-down rope as the airplane tried to escape when I got off the brakes...I couldn't use the chocks left conveniently on the ramp, becasue they wouldn't fit under the wheel pants!

Well yesterday's stop was just as windy - but I was prepared! I just whipped out my travel chocks, and the beast was tamed - kinda like throwing the horse's reigns over the old hitchin' post....

The chocks didn't cost a thing,becasue they were fabricated from scrap, and you should make yourself a pair - before you need them! Just cut four lengths of leftover 1" aluminum angle about 6" long. Drill (and deburr, of course) a hole near the end,and join them in pairs with some 1'8" cord of your choice. N-Number decals are optional, but add a nice touch! They nest easily in sets, and can be tucked away just about anywhere. They look tiny, but beleive it or not, they do keep the plane from rolling. Hey, I bet you could use them to break the canopy in an emergergency!

chocks7oc.jpg

Paul

Weight reduction

Dude, look at all that weight you're lugging around. :eek: Just kidding. But if you're anal like I am, you might lighten those puppies up like this...here are my homemade lightweight chocks:

20050623_chocks1.jpg

20050623_chocks2.jpg

Yes, I'm trying to reduce the weight in my GUT as well, but that's proving to be a much more difficult process...

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (765 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

3/4"x3/4"x6", 1/8" thick angle works too

I third that idea. I did the same thing for the same reasons but used 3/4" aluminum angle. These and the external rudder lock "U" wires get pulled on the walk around and put in the left side pocket. I have never seen chocks anywhere that would clear the wheel farings and you have to be alert that line personnel do not try to force fit their chocks in place.

Bob Axsom

Chocks

Why are there 6 of them ? OH ! Thats right you are pushing around a NOSE
WHEEL Talk about weight. BC

Last edited: