JimWoo50

Well Known Member
I've had the tank off three times and cut access holes in the baffle but I can't seem to patch a very small but irritating fuel seep. I am suspicious that the breach in the sealant is at the junction of skin and baffle at the bottom and in the middle of the tank. It has gotten better after multiiple applications of proseal but still seeps. I think part of my problem is my inability to contort my hand through the access hole to accurately apply proseal to the problem area as indicated by soap bubbles. For that reason I am looking for advice as to what brand liquid slosh type material I could use very sparingly to completely seal the area. I tried diluting proseal with MEK and for some reason had no success; I think I ruined the proseal. Thanks.

to the problem area as indicated by soap bubbles.

When you say bubbles, I am assuming that you are using blowback to find the leak. And if you are, are the bubbles that indicate the leak source inside the tank right on the other side of the baffle from where you are applying the pressure? If they are, there are 2 ways to go at it; pressure cup injection or fillet and pressure. If you post a picture of where the leak exit point is on the outside of the tank it will help. Pressure cup injection is where you would manufacture a metal "cup" that conforms to the leak exit point and temporarily bond it to the area with an adhesive, the cup should have a 3/8 threaded bolt hole in it to fill the cup full with class A sealant, then you begin to screw the bolt into the cup forcing the sealant in a path of least resistance ( your leak exit point ). I screw it in until I cant turn it with my hand anymore, the half a turn. I wait and let the sealant do its work for a few minutes then tighten again and continue this until I see the sealant inside the tank. Then you let the sealant fully cure and remove the cup and excess sealant followed by a topcoat inside. The othe way of doing it which is easier but sometimes not as successful is to mix up some Class A sealant, lay down a good plop of sealant where you are getting the bubbles, quickly close up the tank and pressurize it to 1 psi constant until either the sealant begins to exit the tank or the sealant is past its working life and begins to harden. But this is going off what I think you are trying to say, pictures would help

Last edited:
My tank was tested to 1 psi with an electronic manometer. I would caution going over that, as you will see it bulges pretty good and tight.

any particular brand of type a sealant?

Thanks for the info. Do you recommend any particular sealant?

Same Problem

I tested the tanks yesterday and found a dribble coming out of the junction between the rear plate of the tank and the outboard end plate. No chance of getting inside it. I am trying to work out if it can be covered over with proseal or if there is any way to inject proseal from the outside. Also considering grinding flat the outside fillet before application. I know sloshing is frowned upon but is it a usefull technique in this instance. I tend to think not. Was rather disappointing to find that leak.

Regards

Mark

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com.au/