woodsideraff

Well Known Member
Any ideas on building a chart holder for Approach plate and folded en-route map? I'm thinking of building a shelf on the right side and would welcome suggestions.

Cheers,

RL

Map Pockets

Any ideas on building a chart holder for Approach plate and folded en-route map? I'm thinking of building a shelf on the right side and would welcome suggestions.

Cheers,

RL

Rafael,
Here are two photos of map pockets I created for both the pilot and co-pilot. The first photo shows the two map pockets I made for the pilot, one for each side. The bottom of the pilot's map pocket covers go along the pilot's arm rests.
I made two 90 degree bends at the top of each piece. This makes the panel rigid and also eliminates sharp edges. I used flush #8 screws and MS21049-08K (triple dimpled) nut plates to hold all 3 map pocket covers on. I wanted to be able to remove the covers for maintenance and to be able to clean all the crud that builds up in areas like that. Rivets will work just as well if you don't want the complication of screws and nut plates.

pilotsmappockets1.jpg

I also made a map pocket cover for the co-pilot on the right side. This is clearly visible at the bottom of the photo below. It goes from the F-805 to the F-806 bulkhead. It also has a tab that mounts to the floor skin.
The rear of the right side pilot's map pocket can be seen on the upper left corner of the photo below.

copilotmappocketinplacex.jpg

This should give you one idea for map pockets.

Charlie Kuss

Chart Holder for the RV-8A

Really great ideas guys ---- love all of the "nook and cranny" storage ideas. However, I think RL is looking for something that presents the chart/approach plate in front of him for reference during flight/approach -- I have the same issue with the RV-8A I fly --- any other ideas out there?

My Garmin 696 lives on a RAM mount stalk attahced to a RAM ball that is screwed to the 804 "cap" on the right side. The 696 is essentially level, above and to the right of my right thigh. This might be of interest, as the 696 is just a little larger than the standard NOS book - you could easily make an aluminum plate attached to a RAM mount that woudl be a swing-away "chart desk" - attach a clip on the forward edge, and it woudl hold a map just fine.

Alternatively, of course, you just use a kneeboard.

Paul

Last edited:
go to the search function and use keywords 'chart holder'. You will see a thread by 9driver showing pictures of a chart holder I made from scrap kit parts and clips from a cheap clipboard. Mine was made for the left side of the cockpit, but could be made reversed for right side. Anyway, maybe the pix will give you some ideas.

RV-8 Chart Holder

I stole this idea from the Doll....

Convenient chart holder, one on each side, riveted directly to canopy frame.

chartholders.jpg

Mike Draper
N468RV
TMX0360 CS
finishing, finishing, ...

I love it!

Mike - that is absolutely great! It is totally wasted space and you've reclaimed it. I know what I'm doing this weekend! I want to take a look at the rear seat canopy area too. My wife needs a place to put a paperback book.

well, maybe I better give atta boys to "the Doll's" builder. Danny? I Think? Great job to who ever came up with this first.

John

I stole this idea from the Doll....

Convenient chart holder, one on each side, riveted directly to canopy frame.

chartholders.jpg

Mike Draper
N468RV
TMX0360 CS
finishing, finishing, ...

I flew an 8 one time that had holders like this in the canopy rails. On taxi with the canopy back, everything went flying out except me. Owner said said, "I dont taxi with the canopy back." I could not imagine taxing around without out that canopy back on summer days.

Thanks for the heads up on the taxi issue.

I made the panel taller than normal to keep charts secure. The panel is ~3.75 inches tall which will expose ~ 1.25 inches of the chart. The lightening holes will assist in retrieving the charts. A velco strap between the wall of the skirt and the inside wall of the panel should keep the charts secure when taxing with the canopy open.

Hopefully I can try this out sometime in the near future!!

Mike Draper
N468RV
TMX O360 CS
finishing.....

I was thinking a little bit farther;
I had read that a certain WWII Pacific war fighter group leader had an 'office desk' built into his Grumman. It was basically a pull up desk, from the right so he could write on it while holding the stick with his left hand.
During long over water flights he could do his 'officer work'.
But I was thinking it would be good for nav work in an RV-8.
I'm just riveting on the F821PP upper skin now, so this is a long way ahead for me, but an aluminum desk that swings up on the right side, with a clip baord clamp to hold the map 'seems' like a good idea.