Thanks guys for the information on the alternator and regulator replacement on my RV-4. I am a little concerned about the charging voltage though. With no load it is charging at 14.4-14.5 volts and with landing lights on and everything else it goes up to 14.6-14.7. My experience has been that anything over 14.3 will start to toast the battery. I have a long background in automotive and this is what we operated by. Are aircraft any different?

thanks.

Bill Price

My system charges 14.3-14.5V and my batteries last 4-6 years. I don't think it's a real problem until you get close to 15V.

As Mell said, you are fine, especially if you are using an Odyssey battery. I have found that they like the 14.5 better.
Also, where are you monitoring the voltage? Sometimes there can be up to .5 volt difference between the alternator B lead and the buss voltage.

Vic

At the battery terminals....

As Mell said, you are fine, especially if you are using an Odyssey battery. I have found that they like the 14.5 better.
Also, where are you monitoring the voltage? Sometimes there can be up to .5 volt difference between the alternator B lead and the buss voltage.

Vic

...this is what Odyssey says....

Determining the charger output voltage is the most important step in the charger qualification process. If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery do not use the charger. This output voltage is measured on the battery terminals with the charger charging, the voltage is steady and the output current has begun to decline.

The full specifications are here....

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/files/techbook.pdf

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm

It sounds like your original numbers are right in the middle of the range...:)

Charging voltage.

Thanks you guys.

No, I did not check the voltage at the battery and you are right there could be a voltage drop by the time it gets there. She is all wrapped up now so I will keep an eye on it.

Bill Price
CFI MEI CFII