RV8R999

Well Known Member
Experience from my last project reminded me to include a means to easily keep the battery charged and maintained. I have a PC680 connected to a 1/4" female audio jack (properly fused of course) and mounted to the lower right section of the firewall. THe male 1/4" plug is wired to a battery minder allowing me to keep it charging at all times. I've used this same battery for nearly 5 years without any issues. I also have a solar panel array I can bring with me in case Im stuck outside and need a charge. Works like a champ.
35018i1.jpg

1z4y62c.jpg

Mo' battery tender ideas

I also like to leave the battery on the tender, but it's easy to do this without any special connectors, just using the connectors supplied with the battery tender.

When you buy the battery tender, it's packaged with one cord dongle with lugs that can be bolted directly to the battery. I just installed that one permanently on the battery. I used a simple velcro tie wrap to keep the cord near the oil door. Whenever I leave the plane, I connect up the tender through the oil door.

You are correct Don but those connectors didn't work very well for very long when I first bought them. They become very loose and would lose connection so I went with the plug so I could easily charge the battery without going through any access panels.

I also wanted an easy/fast way to hook up my battery tender.

I bought a BMW mc accessory plug (the kind that has the waterproof spring loaded cap over it and an inline auto fuse), made a small bracket from alum angle, and adele clamped it to the motor mount tube just aft of the top of the dipstick. The other end is permanently attached to the poles of the battery. I attached the male end of the plug permanently to the battery tender line. If the plane will be sitting for a while I simply open the dip stick access door and plug in the battery tender. Easy in/easy out.

Sorry I don't have any pics but if Rupster is reading, maybe he can share one.

Cheers,

db

My battery is in the tail and I just wired up a float charger that is permanently mounted in the tail. The input for the float charger is a "countersunk" male plug that is in the belly with a small cap over it (kind of like an outside electrical plug, but a more aerodynamic cap). I can plug in a regular extension cord to the male plug. Just have to remember to unplug before going flying.

greg

BMW Plug

I also wanted an easy/fast way to hook up my battery tender.

I bought a BMW mc accessory plug (the kind that has the waterproof spring loaded cap over it and an inline auto fuse)

The "BMW plug" is a much better idea than an audio jack. The audio jack can short while being plugged in and is exposed the the elements. The BMW design stays clean and was designed for 12 volts.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Battery charging

Curious, I have never needed to charge and Ody. 625. It holds charge and cranks like a champ everytime. I do run an Eggenfellner Subaru so my starter probably has considerably less draw than the Lycoming starter, especially the older one. I have gone weeks at a time without flying and still no issue. If you leave your battery off charge do you have a problem starting? How much "Keep Alive" current are your drawing off the battery? A Simple mind would like to know. Neil

Cig Lighter?

I have my cig lighter, wired and fused at 10 amps, wired to the battery bus. Is there any reason I shouldn't plug my charger in there?

Curious, I have never needed to charge and Ody. 625. It holds charge and cranks like a champ everytime.

The primary purpose of a batter minder is not to charge the battery, but to desulphate it. Over time, sulphates build on the battery plates shortening it's life. A true battery minder introduces an RF that gets rid of the sulfates, thereby extending batter life. I've been using one for quite a while and my aircraft batteries typically last about 7 years.
The device will keep the battery charged, but typically will not charge a dead battery.

Save a battery

The primary purpose of a batter minder is not to charge the battery, but to desulphate it. Over time, sulphates build on the battery plates shortening it's life. A true battery minder introduces an RF that gets rid of the sulfates, thereby extending batter life. I've been using one for quite a while and my aircraft batteries typically last about 7 years.
The device will keep the battery charged, but typically will not charge a dead battery.

This technology has saved me a lot of money on batteries for my collector cars and airplane. I am a fan of the "Save a battery" products. This is an unpaid plug, the owner is a friend of mine.

http://www.saveabattery.com/

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I have a standard 110 v female plug inside the oil door wired to the battery. I carry a plug with pigtail (properly marked pos and neg) that allows quick hookup of a charger when I need one. It will take significant amperage, although I don't remember the wire size. Total cost a couple of bucks, and it works great! Grounding and neutral connectors are used so it wouldn't jolt you if the pigtail were plugged into 110. That's the theory, anyway.

Bob Kelly

I have my cig lighter, wired and fused at 10 amps, wired to the battery bus. Is there any reason I shouldn't plug my charger in there?

Same method I used and works great. I don't need to charge the battery unless I run it down doing tests or something as it's mandatory in my house to fly at least once a week!

BMW = Better, probably (it is BMW after all) but audio plug = good enough as evidenced by nearly six years of continuous trouble free use and the price is great at just under six bucks :)