dan carley

Well Known Member
i would like to take off the metal prop that is on my rv4 and put on a catto 3 bladed prop. what is involved in paperwork. i hear a few different stores on this and want to do it correctly

thanks
dan carley

Refer to paragraph (19) of your operating limitations.
Change props, perform new W&B, logbook entry, place aircraft back into phase I for minimum 5 hrs.

This assumes that the original prop is F/P and your op lims are of the current version. Regardless, your op lims are the ruling factor.

Earlier op lims required a new airworthiness inspection. When were your op lims issued.

Call me if you want to discuss. 972-784-7544

Last edited:
Major Change

Changing the prop is considered a major change & the operating instructions outline the process, tests area, & logbook notation.

What Mel said

I asked same question to my local FSDO, and to the agent that actually certificated my -4 as I am looking at a Catto to replace my Sterba. His reply was the same as what Mel said. For most prop swaps there may be little affected other than W/B, but in some it could change take-off roll vs. climb over obstical, ect. That is the main reason "Phase one" testing validates any unforseen characteristics in a seemingly simple prop change. I was told to use the same Phase one flight area as I did during first 40 hrs, so I dont know what it would be if I was now in a different location.

I was told to use the same Phase one flight area as I did during first 40 hrs, so I dont know what it would be if I was now in a different location.

If the aircraft is now in a different location, you should have your operating limitations amended. The local FSDO or a DAR with function codes 33 and 46 cans do this.