s_tones

Well Known Member
Why would an N-number be changed in proximity to the sale of an aircraft?
Can you change an N-number anytime you want?

S_tones

Yep

You can change to whatever is available at the time. You have to apply for the new number http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_inquiry.asp and pay the 10 bucks. If it's available you will be awarded that number.

Then, you write a letter of request to change your number. When that is answered you will receive a form that gives you a certain number of days to actually make the change and return the form to the feds in OK city.

One last step that has to be accomplished at the FSDO is to have a new Certificate of Airworthiness issued with the correct N Number on it.
All very east just a little time consuming.

The company that my brother works for changes the N number on all of their aircraft. The problem that they run into is that all of the associated documentation has to be changed as well, Airworthiness Cert, RVSM cert, avionics AWR for that specific aircraft SN. It takes some time to get it all straight again. An RV should be alot simpler to get straight but you are not airworthy until you do.

N Number Change

After I purchased my RV4, I changed the number because the original number was the builder's birth month/year and initials. I don't know if Robert used the number again but I gave it up so he had the choice.

That may be why the builder or owner is changing the number prior to the sale because the number they want to reuse the number. A friend built a Supercub replica and used his birth month/year and initials for his registraion number. When he sold the plane the new owner promised him that he would change the number so Max could get it back. After two years the second owner sold the plane and the new owner likes the number and won't change.

Jim - 1993 RV4

It was easy to do on my...

The company that my brother works for changes the N number on all of their aircraft. The problem that they run into is that all of the associated documentation has to be changed as well, Airworthiness Cert, RVSM cert, avionics AWR for that specific aircraft SN. It takes some time to get it all straight again. An RV should be alot simpler to get straight but you are not airworthy until you do.

...Tiger since there really was no associated documentation. Sent my letter to the local FSDO, and got a new Airworthiness Certificate back in a few days.

For a RV, do the Operating Limitations have to be changed, or are they referenced to the make/model/serial number?

...Tiger since there really was no associated documentation. Sent my letter to the local FSDO, and got a new Airworthiness Certificate back in a few days.

For a RV, do the Operating Limitations have to be changed, or are they referenced to the make/model/serial number?

Once you make a LOG entry of the new N number, it will then just flow with the related paperwork. So......... no, it should not have to be changed.

But you will need to make a correction and add a note to your next property tax bill, that you changed your N number ............. You don't want them to bill you for another A/C do you!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The airworthiness certificate form 8130-7 and the operating limitations are considered to be one document by the FAA. One part of that combination should not be changed without changing the other. The N number is listed at the beginning of the operating limitations, and is tied to the N number listed on the 8130-7. Your FSDO should replace the entire document rather than just the 8130-7 if you change the N number.

This shouldn't be a big deal for the FSDO, but I've had some calls from members who have had problems getting this accomplished. Go figure!

Cheers!

Joe

. . . and for you over-equipped guys a registration change requires a change with the 406 ELT and re-pinning your mode S transponders :D