Capflyer

Well Known Member
Perhaps a question for the DAR's out there. I have a reserved N number I will be changing to. The procedure is pretty straight forward but I'm curious how the Operating Limitations document are handled. Do they get re-issued with the new N number on them? If so does the FAA take care of that or do I need to talk to the :eek: the FSDO?

Be careful talking to the FSDO.

Changing the "N" number on an experimental requires "Amending" the airworthiness because the operating limitations have to be re-issued.

Some FSDOs think that this can be done with a "Replacement" certificate because that's how it's done for certified aircraft.
Be sure they understand the rules for experimentals.

Once you have that nailed down, the FSDO or any DAR with FC33 and 46 can do the amendment.

Last edited:
Thank you Mel. Just to clarify so I understand what you said, when you say the FSDO thinks this can be done with a replacement certificate, are you saying this is not correct? Is the certificate you mention the Operating Limitations or Airworthiness Certificate?

It's actually both!

Thank you Mel. Just to clarify so I understand what you said, when you say the FSDO thinks this can be done with a replacement certificate, are you saying this is not correct? Is the certificate you mention the Operating Limitations or Airworthiness Certificate?

A "certified" aircraft does not have operating limitations in the same form as experimentals. Therefore a simple replacement airworthiness certificate can be issued with the new "N" number.

An experimental aircraft has specific operating limitations issued to each aircraft and these have the "N" number listed. Therefore a new airworthiness certificate AND new operating limitations must be issued.
This is done by amending the AW and Op Lims.

This is what Mel is saying. I have only done this once and checked with my Advisor before and during to make sure I got everything correct. My Advisor looked at the task as a replacement with the new revised latest OpLims as they are Part of the 8130-7.

215. Replacement, Exchange, or Amendment of Airworthiness Certificates.
a. Replacement.
(1) The FAA may issue a replacement airworthiness certificate when a certificate is
declared lost, has been mutilated, is no longer legible, or contains inaccurate and/or erroneous
information. The replacement airworthiness certificate must carry the original issue date of the
certificate being replaced, preceded by a capital ?R? in the Date block of the certificate.
Replacement certificates also will be issued when the aircraft registration number has been
changed. In these cases, a new application for airworthiness certification is not required.

(2) Request for a replacement certificate will be made to the applicable certification
office. The registered owner or certificate operator will certify this by submitting a signed
statement containing the registration number (N-Number), serial number, make, and model of
the aircraft, and a reason the replacement certificate is needed. Replacement of airworthiness
certificates must not be accomplished by verbal agreement with the assigned ASIs or through
procedures contained in air carriers? manuals that allow the continued operation of an aircraft
without an airworthiness certificate. Such actions are contrary to 14 CFR ?? 91.203(b)
and 121.153(a)(1), and 14 CFR part 135, Operating Requirements: Commuter and On-Demand
Operations and Rules Governing Persons on Board Such Aircraft, 14 CFR ? 135.25(a).

(3) A replacement airworthiness certificate may be issued without supporting documentation from AFS-750 if the date of issuance and the airworthiness classification and/or category of the lost or mutilated certificate can be positively established from the aircraft records, or from the remains of the certificate. If there is insufficient data on which to base issuance of the replacement certificate, the FAA ASI will obtain the required data electronically, by telephone, or by mail (such as the application form or previously issued airworthiness
certificate) from AFS-750.

(4) Before issuing a replacement certificate, the FAA must review the aircraft records and, if necessary, inspect the aircraft to ensure that the applicant?s request is justified and the aircraft is eligible for the airworthiness certificate requested. (5) Both a copy of the replacement certificate and a copy of the owner?s request for a replacement certificate (see paragraph 215a(2) of this order) must be forwarded to AFS-750.