Mark Albery

Well Known Member
I recently bought an RV-4 built in 1991, which still has the original limitations document that doesn't have the option of night/IFR as in the new format (FAA Order 8130.2F, paragraph 153 ).

I have written a letter to the local FSDO asking if I could change the limitations.

They have called me, outlining the procedure, which includes checking the log books and aircraft to ascertain that no major mods have been made that would revert me to Phase 1. He also suggested that the new requirements were more restrictive than the old ones, and to consider whether it's worth the trade off.

As far as I can see, the only extra restriction is maintaining the equipment required by Pt 91 according to the maintenance schedule (pitot-static, transponder and VOR checks).

The FSDO checks and inspections would be at no cost to me.

I only intend to use the facility for occasional needs for late returns and getting in/out of the LA basin when theres a lurking marine layer etc and for maintaining IFR currency.

Has anyone been through the process and can offer any advice on the pros and cons?

Hi Mark, I went through the process when I sold my RV-4 because the new owner wanted the option to fly it IFR. If you do a search on the EAA website you will find a format of the letter to send to the FSDO requesting new limitations. It was fairly quick and easy and after the process was over the FAA complimented me on the content of the letter because of all the proper wording. I called the FSDO prior to starting the process but found that many of the people there were not familiar with experimental aircraft. If I were to do it again, I would just send the letter as formatted by the EAA and not talk to the FSDO. In my case the FSDO wanted to look at the aircraft to insure it was legal for IFR, but the inspection was not necessary because the limitations cover that. PM me if you need any more info.

Dan

Mark,
The latest "operating limitations" wording is much better than the originals that you have. I have done many amendments to operating limitations. One of the BIG advantages is that the new version allow you to place the aircraft back into phase I yourself after doing a major modification rather than having to get a recurrent certification.
Please give me a call if you would like to discuss further. Have your op lims in hand and we can compare item by item.
972-784-7544

New operating limitations

I had another person contact me about my experiences obtaining new limitations and I haven't done it in a while but here is what the EAA says you should do:

FAA Order 8130.2F, paragraph 27b(1)(d), (4), & (6) states that to amend your current operating limitations you need to submit only one thing to your local FAA office (the FSDO) - and that's a completed FAA Form 8130-6, "Application for Airworthiness Certificate." Get the form from the local FSDO office along with a copy of AC 21-12, "Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate, FAA Form 8130-6."

Only FSDO FAA Inspectors can process the change request. The paperwork required to update your operating limitations takes less than 30 minutes and the FSDO FAA Safety Inspector can do it without leaving his desk. FAA Order 8130.2F paragraph 27b(6) specifically tells the FAA Inspectors that a new aircraft inspection is NOT a requirement when updating your operating limitations.

You'll need to attach COPIES (not the originals) of your current airworthiness certificate, the aircraft registration and operating limitations to the cover letter along with the completed FAA Form 8130-6. Note: The FSDO FAA Safety Inspector, however will not release the revised/updated operating limitations until you can bring in the original documents for a one-to-one exchange.

Don't forget the other part of this issue - keep your insurance company informed as you progress through the change project. Usually anything you do to your aircraft will cause a change in your insurance coverage and rates.

For reference, look at this website to review FAA order 8130.2F

EAA strongly suggests that when you send in the form, you attach the following cover letter that says (cut and paste this to a word document - then fill in the blanks):

Date

Name and address of your local FSDO

Dear Sirs,

Attached is a completed FAA Form 8130-6, Application for Airworthiness Certificate.

In accordance with FAA Order 8130.2F paragraph 27b(1)(d) and 27b(4) & (6), this application is being submitted to amend my current experimental operating limitations to match those published in FAA Order 8130.2F, paragraph 154 (dated 9/30/2009).

My aircraft, N______, currently has ___ hours on it, completed all test flight (Phase I) requirements on DATE, and is currently operating in Phase II.

I've enclosed a copy of the current airworthiness certificate, aircraft registration and operating limitations for my aircraft, N______, for your reference use.

Sincerely,

(Signed)

An update, for those interested.

Today the inspector from the local FSDO came out, looked over the aeroplane and issued me the new style operating limitations together with a new airworthiness certificate.
He did accidentally put in an 'acrobatics prohibited' limitation, but we spotted the error and they'll revise it appropriately.
I'm now free to get night-current and pop in and out through the marine layer.
Altogether fairly painless. Thanks to those that replied with help and suggestions.

Only FSDO FAA Inspectors can process the change request.

This is "dated" material. Several years ago DARs were given authority to do "amendments" IF they have function code 33.

One other bit of information you'll need to submit is a copy of your logbook showing the latest condition inspection as an amended airworthiness certificate does NOT restart the clock.

Last edited: