Tram

Well Known Member
So I'm in the hangar buttoning up my HID install when I notice a small puddle under the wheel pant.

Brake fluid.

So I pull the pant and start inspecting. The brake line was wiggling in the AN fitting on the brake housing. I fiddled with it for a bit and the line popped out of the fitting. The "flange" (I'm at a loss for words) broke off in the fitting..

Well we have been thinking about swapping to flexible stainless line but don't want to run the entire length, just the portion that comes out of the leg fairings.

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems pretty straight forward, but I thought I'd see what VAF thought.

Well we have been thinking about swapping to flexible stainless line but don't want to run the entire length, just the portion that comes out of the leg fairings.

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems pretty straight forward, but I thought I'd see what VAF thought.

Might not be enough room in the leg faring for the union.

Last edited:
you can--

use braided hose at the caliper and under the wheel pants to a point along the gear leg that is convienent. Cut and reflare the tubing, and install a AN815 union, and connect the hose to it. The length of the hose really depends on you---some guys make a loop around the caliper, and some make a shorter hose and more straight in approach.
It does make changing brake pads easier, without having to disconnect the rigid line to the caliper, or bending it to remove the caliper.
Tom

My thought is new aluminum brake line(s) and fittings. You are doing very good job modifying your plane and you can do excellent flared joints yourself. It will cost you almost nothing and it's very simple.

Never has made sense to connect a moving part (the caliper) with a hard line. Sure, the majority work fine..... and the rest generate a steady failure rate.

Last edited:
If you go back with aluminum tube use the 5052-O, it has a much higher fatigue life.

Had same issue - switched to full length flexible SS braided line. Also switched from 5606 to MIL-PRF-83282D because it can handle higher temps (5606 and 83282 can be mixed).

So I'm in the hangar buttoning up my HID install when I notice a small puddle under the wheel pant.

Brake fluid.

So I pull the pant and start inspecting. The brake line was wiggling in the AN fitting on the brake housing. I fiddled with it for a bit and the line popped out of the fitting. The "flange" (I'm at a loss for words) broke off in the fitting..

I replaced all the line from the firewall to the caliper with stainless braided teflon line and fittings from the local speed shop. In my opinion this is far better than the aluminum lines and an easy upgrade that will be the last time you have to service the lines.