SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
Has anyone changed out the aileron bearings on an older -4? I need to change the bearings for the right aileron - I get a fair bit of lateral movement that should not be there and I can see the bearings slipping back and forth. I removed the aileron and the loose bearings will only go so far but will not push out.

Vans suggested pressing them out using sockets (with a C clamp I suppose). I read on the forum that the aileron bearings on a -6 are a "captured" type - would have to drill out the rivets of the bracket.

I don't want to start forcing these bearings out without some confirmation from someone who has already been there. This is a 1987 -4.

Pushed in...

Has anyone changed out the aileron bearings on an older -4? I need to change the bearings for the right aileron - I get a fair bit of lateral movement that should not be there and I can see the bearings slipping back and forth. I removed the aileron and the loose bearings will only go so far but will not push out.

Vans suggested pressing them out using sockets (with a C clamp I suppose). I read on the forum that the aileron bearings on a -6 are a "captured" type - would have to drill out the rivets of the bracket.

I don't want to start forcing these bearings out without some confirmation from someone who has already been there. This is a 1987 -4.

No... my old -6 plans show the aileron bearing fitting into a reamed 0.5625 hole. They are just pushed in and staked.

I believe the "captured bearing" you mentioned is the bearing in the aileron bellcrank in the wing, which is a different design from the later -7 and -9 bearings.

Keep pushing with the socket and big C-clamp...:)

gil A

ADDED

The bearing now called out (latest revision) is an Aurora COM-3 - it was a more expensive Heim call out (LS-3 ? - hard to read...)

Last edited:
Will carry on

Thanks for the quick reply Gil. I have purchased the bearings from Vans - I got both sizes, the COM 3 and larger COM 3-5. I may have to ream the holes a bit and use the larger size if the hole is too worn for the smaller original one. Pricey little beggars though at $12+ each.