von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello everyone.

This is not about the technical details but the paperwork end of things. I have all the material ready and will be changing my -7A into a -7 soon.

I have read that I need to go back into Phase 1 testing for 5 hours after the change. Is this a true statement?

How is the paperwork changed to reflect the new aircraft type? The FAA registration, insurance papers, state registration will all need to be changed to reflect the model change from 7A to 7. Does the local FAA office need to be involved? Is a DAR required? Is there a FAA form for changing model type??

Lots of questions... thanks in advance for any insight on this.

It all depends on your operating limitations. Your op lims should contain a paragraph describing exactly what you need to do after a major change. The wording should say that you need to document the change, place the aircraft back into phase I for a minimum of 5 hours.

As far as the model change; an amateur-built aircraft can be any model the owner wishes. You do not have to change the model. If you want to change the model you would need a new airworthiness inspection and a new data plate in addition to the original one. That's right, 2 data plates. I would recommend that you do not change the model. Life would be much simpler.

What Mel said X2

The RV-7A demonstrator started out (~ the first 2 years) as an RV-7.
All paper work and FAA documents still refer to it as an RV-7.

That sure simplifies things. So if my OP limitations states that I would not need FAA/FISDO involvement at all?

What flight characteristics would need to be tested and documented in phase 1 after a landing gear change? Stall speeds? Spin recovery? Directional ground handling?

Data Plate 9A to 9 Conversion

My data plate lettering is UGLY and I want to replace it. Last week I asked my local FSDO guy what to stamp on the new replacement data plate. This same gentleman will be the one who re-issues the A/W and new Ops Lims. His answer was, "if the aircraft is changing configuration RV 9 will be on the new data plate".

Just to recap; I'm repairing a 9A after a nose over. Plane had a IO360 with Hartzell CS prop. When done it will be converted to a 9 and have a IO320 with Hartzell CS.

Mel, Can you point me to the verbage that spells out what is required?

Don Broussard

My data plate lettering is UGLY and I want to replace it. Last week I asked my local FSDO guy what to stamp on the new replacement data plate. This same gentleman will be the one who re-issues the A/W and new Ops Lims. His answer was, "if the aircraft is changing configuration RV 9 will be on the new data plate".
Just to recap; I'm repairing a 9A after a nose over. Plane had a IO360 with Hartzell CS prop. When done it will be converted to a 9 and have a IO320 with Hartzell CS.
Mel, Can you point me to the verbage that spells out what is required?
Don Broussard

From FAA Order 8130.2H

219. Aircraft Model Change.
a. When an aircraft has been modified to conform to another model of the same make, the aircraft registration, airworthiness certificate, and aircraft ID plate must reflect the new model designation.
b. In addition to the existing ID plate, a new fireproof ID plate as specified in § 45.13 to include the new model designation must be attached as close as physically possible to the original ID plate without obscuring it.
c. To maintain an accurate and continuous operating history for the aircraft, the original ID plate must not be altered in any manner.
d. The normal procedures, including any applicable inspections, apply when processing FAA Form 8130-6. The amended airworthiness certificate will be identified with a capital “A” preceding the current date of the certificate being issued. If ownership of the aircraft has not changed, an application for aircraft registration, reflecting the new model designation, need not be submitted. AFS-750 will issue an amended registration certificate.

Last edited: