ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I have a used O-320 B2B and I've just changed the sump to move my carb forward so it doesn't interfere with my nosegear. It's now a "Frankenstein" engine since it's no longer a B2B but it's not anything else either. I'm sure I should keep the original data plate but I'm thinking I shouldn't install it on the new sump. Is it fine to go without a data plate as far as the FAA is concerned?

Well, it's an experimental engine now... so no data plate is completely fine. I'd still get a blank if you can, and stamp on the timing information, compression ratio, fuel type, and displacement... Just me tho.

I went through this....

on a certified aircraft. I gave Lycoming a call and they told me how to mark the data plate and submit a 337 for the change, they even told me what model # change I had made. They referenced Service Instruction 1304J. So it can be done, if it is worth the trouble to you to keep the engine certified for a shorter Phase 1.

How do you install the plate on the new sump?

Thanks for the info. So what I get from 1304J is to stamp the letter C after the serial number and make a logbook entry. Since this is an experimental, I would think that a form 337 is not required right?

So, how do you physically rivet it to the new sump? I have yet to remove it from the old sump so I'm not sure how it's done. Are they held in place just by the friction between the hole and the rivet? I wouldn't think that you'd try to actually set them like a normal rivet right? I'd think you'd run the risk of damaging the sump if you did that.

I've never done a plate swap so I can't help there, but:

If you aren't going to file the 337 and have a MECHANIC make the logbook entree, then there is no point in swapping over the lycoming plate. The whole point from above of doing that is to keep the engine 'certified' so your fly off period would only be 25 hours instead of 40.

I think that personally I'd just leave it. It makes the sump that you have worth something if you want to sell it (certified part). Get a blank plate or even just a nice piece of aluminum and stamp the current configuration on it with an (EXP) on it, and fly the extra 15 in the Phase I.

riveting the sump

I got a new data plate with my sump from superior. They supplied rivets that looked like spiral nails except they had a flat tip. You just hammer them in.

My data plate is held on with small screws. Not a big deal.

When I changed the accessory case on my O-290 and changed the cam gear to drive the fuel pump, I didn't bother with the change. I is documented in my builder's log, wich will go to the next owner, should I sell it.

Well, it's an experimental engine now... so no data plate is completely fine. I'd still get a blank if you can, and stamp on the timing information, compression ratio, fuel type, and displacement... Just me tho.

Your engine needs to have some sort of data plate.
When you fill out the 8130-6 form to apply for an airworthiness certificate, you have to designate the model of engine (and propeller) that is installed on the airplane and your inspector will likely check to make sure the info on the plate matches the application.

Your engine needs to have some sort of data plate.
When you fill out the 8130-6 form to apply for an airworthiness certificate, you have to designate the model of engine (and propeller) that is installed on the airplane and your inspector will likely check to make sure the info on the plate matches the application.

I believe you, but I have seen plenty of engines without data plates flying on experimental. If it's an experimental engine, it could be a Black Sheep Special on the on the 8130... but what that actually is, is completely irrelevant. Does a Sube have a dataplate? I'd be interested in knowing, Ross?

It needs some sort of "plate"...

I believe you, but I have seen plenty of engines without data plates flying on experimental. If it's an experimental engine, it could be a Black Sheep Special on the on the 8130... but what that actually is, is completely irrelevant. Does a Sube have a dataplate? I'd be interested in knowing, Ross?

...(or stamped marking) that states a serial number or other unique identification - how else could you reference it back to the FAA required Maintenance Records?