Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have used 3M Weather Strip Adhesive from Aircraft Spruce for some time with good results. Recently I had a need for some on short notice so I bought it at an auto parts store. When I was applying it I noticed that the expected familiar yellow was more of a creamy yellow. I just ignored it and continued to apply the adhesive to an insulating blanket and the left side of the lower cowl (a familiar and successful application in the past). The next day I flew for around 5 hours and after landing I noticed something hanging down at the rear of the cowl. It turned out that the adhesive flowed down and out the crack between the cowl and the fuselage. No big problem but I want it right so there is some cleanup and repair to do. I Googled 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive and visited the Aircraft Spruce website to get information on the right stuff. Well so far I haven't found it. Aircraft Spruce is so bad that they show a tube of Dow adhesive in one place and give 3M order info so if you see the Dow picture and place an order you are probably going to get 3M adhesive. The part number on the red 3M box I bought at the auto parts store is 051135-08001 and the tube contains the additional word "Yellow" and the descriptive name is Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. If anyone understands this and knows how to get the old stuff I would be interested in that information.

Bob Axsom