RVFlyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I just finished what could have been a nasty, expensive ordeal but instead turned into an interesting learning experience...and I made a couple of new RV-friends to boot.

I flew down to Lubbock TX on Sunday for an airport management conference. There was a bit of wind out of the north so I tied down my RV4 pointed into the wind. I had asked about hangar fees but the forecast was beautiful for the time I was to be in Lubbock. Monday morning I came out of a meeting to find the wind blowing hard out of the southwest (gusts to 30kts). I made a quick call to Lubbock Aero and they agreed to turn the RV around. The wind had already been blowing for awhile and I don't know just how quick they got around to turning it. I was already wishing I had opted for the hangar.

Today I returned to the airport for departure and had planned to pay extra close attention to the controls in case there had been some damage. Sure enough when I moved the ailerons there was serious friction and some squeeky/grind noise toward the throw limits. Uh oh. I start trying to accept my predicament, grab a screw driver and crawl under the wing to remove the access plates for a closer look. In my head I was already composing my VAF request for help. I didn't even get the first plate off before feet appeared and someone was asking "how's it going?" "Not so hot" was my response. He introduced himself as Dana (didn't catch his last name but I bet someone on here can help). He said he's got an RV4 as well and helps me look things over for anything obvious. Neither of us built our planes so we agreed a better set of eyes and knowledge was in order. Dana was preflighting a Citation for a trip when he spotted me but he took the time to call a friend and explain my predicament.

An hour later, my savior of the day shows up in the form of Rick Liles. It turns out Rick is a multi-repeat offender/engineer/machinist/all around great guy. In minutes Rick has played with the controls, removed a pushrod, identified the problem, and says "lets go to my shop". Twenty minutes later I enter a wonderland of RVation. There's wings at the front entrance, a machine shop, two RV fuselages with engines hung, and a Maule fuselage in his paint shop. A head pokes out of an RV9A fuselage and I'm introduced to another Dana (sorry I'm lousy with last names). Dana shows me around the shop while Rick works some magic mostly in the form of cleaning, lubing, and readjusting the ends on the pushrod. It is immediately evident that he is a true craftsman and he gives Dana and I a quick lesson on maintaining pushrods and hinges. Thirty minutes later we are on our way back to the airport. We have a nice discussion about fuel prices, FBO economics, the future of GA, and soon are back at at Lubbock Aero. After refitting the pushrod a couple of times, everything is reassembled and moving freely. Relief sets in.

There's not enough daylight to get home in the sunshine and I figure my good luck may have been maxed out for one day, so I am now back at the hotel looking forward to an early trip home in the morning.

As is very common in this fantastic community, Rick refused payment for the help. However he made one mis-step in that part of the plan and mentioned that he frequents VAF (no surprise). I'm not sure if this is paying it back or paying it forward, but I'm making a donation to VAF as my "thank you" to Rick Liles and the two Dana's in Lubbock. The RV/VAF community is the best.

Note to self....quit being cheap and pay for the hangar AND make some good control locks rather than strapping down the stick with the belts.

Lessons learned. Time for a beer.

Last edited:
Lubbock RV Crowd

Not surprised. Lubbock is home to EAA Chapter 19 51+ years old and a huge group of RV builders. Rick Liles is our main man.

this is good.......

food for thought. another lesson learned from a trip to key west was to park the plane facing north because there was a cold front passage expected. this would lessen the forces on the flight controls by having the plane facing into the wind. live and learn. :Dturbo ps been to lubocks EAA chapter meeting before. HUGE CLUB. AMEN!!!!!!!!
p2270123.jpg

Help me out here. What was the problem and was anything done other than to lube the rod end? What did he use to lube it?

I use an internal rudder gust lock made from PVC pipe and seatbelts for the stick. Are you certain that the seatbelt around the stick was not adequate in this case?

Made it!

I made it back home safe and sound after a beautiful two hour morning flight. Everything worked great and I was patting myself on the back for spending the night and trying again after a good rest. I was rewarded with a beautiful low level run over a rugged, red rock river valley NE of Lubbock. Then I climbed up and enjoyed 25kt tailwinds most of the way home. Back in the office by lunch time.

Regarding the question about the fix.... In addition to a good clean and lube of the bushings, I think the only real "damage" may have been the pushrod end twisting on its threads slightly. This would have thrown it out of alignment slightly and resulted in the binding. I am counting myself lucky that this was the only major problem. I am going to pull off every inspection plate for some more cleaning, lube, and good inspection.

I had another thought as to the cause. While it did get some wind from behind, most of the day it would have been closer to a direct crosswind to the tiedown area. However, the tail was also facing the main ramp with plenty of jets, and military training turboprops. Thus, the problem could have come from jet/prop blast. Same solution either way (hangar AND better gust locks). I'm just counting myself lucky that the problem wasn't more substantial.

Thanks to Doug for putting this on the front page as my main goal was a very public thank you to those who helped out.

Tom,

I to have experinced the hospitality of Russ Daves, Rick Liles etc al.

Talk about an great group of guys!

Phil

As soon as I read the words Lubbock and winds, I was saying to myself I bet Rick Liles was involved. He once bailed me out of a wind induced issue on my RV4. He truly is a master craftsman. If you happen to read this Rick... thanks again.