cfiidon

Well Known Member
Today after flying ( in Phase I) I noticed that the clip link that attaches the chains to the tail wheel yoke had come off on one side. The other side looked like the clip had rotated and could soon do the same thing as the spreadable part was wedged in the hole.

Anyone have a good preventative measure for this using the existing hardware. I'm not ready to change things like switch to a clevis bolt... maybe later.

Would it help to safety wire the clip closed?

Don

Mine did the same thing. Replaced with zinc plated quick links from Home Depot. They will loosen without Locktite. No problems since.

Try using safety wire. I did that on mine. I wrapped a couple of loops of safety wire around the clip and the spring loop, then cinched it tight. Works great.

saftey wire

Mine did same thing, and actually had one side come off while taxiing out...barely knew it until going back in hangar. Chain trailed in flight an never hit the rudder! I also safety wired mine, and they don't budge now. Good preflight item also.

I have had trouble with mine too. They like to get reversed and pull tension on one side, which obviously forces you to keep rudder pressure against it. Seems to happen mostly when I'm flying off grass or bouncier (if that's a word) paved strips.

I'm think about switching to one of those bullet things...

I have been using quick links from Lowes with locktite. 650 hrs and 6 years. Same as dlloyd3. And all this time I thought I was the only one!