airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Does anyone know offhand what the location of the firewall on a 9A is in reference to the CG datum? I'm working up a spreadsheet to determine how much weight I need to move, and how far aft, to compensate for an added 17 pounds of engine/prop combo up front by using the IO360 and WW200RV prop (compared to standard O-320 and FP prop).

I have several items which can be mounted aft - like battery, transponder, ELT, strobe power pack, ADAHRS, oxygen bottle, etc - but the question is which items go where. I know their weights and I can calculate their moment offset, but I need a good reference to calculate the standard moment of the battery (on firewall) and the moment arm of the added engine weight. If I had the firewall arm location that would be a snap - otherwise I'll just have to go level the airplane and take a bunch of careful measurements. I'm hoping someone has already done this for me....:D

Last edited:
The datum is an arbitrary reference line. It can be anywhere you want it to be. You can use the firewall as the datum if you want.
Personally I use the leading edge of the wing as the datum.

Ok, I guess I see your point, I was looking at VANS factory numbers and they use the datum as a point 70" forward of the wing leading edge. I was going to calculate all moment arms based on that location, but from the math perspective you are correct, it's arbitrary.

Now, where did I put my pencil? :confused:

Ok, I guess I see your point, I was looking at VANS factory numbers and they use the datum as a point 70" forward of the wing leading edge. I was going to calculate all moment arms based on that location, but from the math perspective you are correct, it's arbitrary.

Now, where did I put my pencil? :confused:

So measure forward from the leading edge, to the firewall, subtract that from 70, and, well, Bob's your uncle......;)

Seriously, use the standard datum so all your numbers are positive.

Last edited: