WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
It has been quite a while since I have been up flying. As Christmas gift to myself, I thought it would be fun to get with an instructor and go for a little hop around the patch for an hour or so. I'm looking for someplace that rents 172s or the like, preferably at McKinney, Rockwall, or Addison since they are close. I don't need anything with fancy glass or equipment, I'm not going anywhere. Read: trying to keep the cost resonably low.

So, if anyone has a CFI they like in the area I'd love to hear about them. I will eventually need a CFI for my re-training before the RV is done; there is no reason I can't start to foster that relationship now.

Thanks,

I did my PPL out of Monarch Air at Mckinney, I think they have changed their name since I was there but they have always been good to me.
-david

Make it an RV

How about an hour in an RV7 with Alex De Dominicis? He's located south of Dallas at Eagles Nest (2TS6). I did my transition training with him and found him to be a first rate RV instructor.

I guarantee it will be more fun (and probably more valuable to you) than the C172 time.

www.rvtraining.com

Four Winds Aviation

We are bringing online an Archer II at Four Winds Aviation out of Mckinney
AeroCountry (T31). Four Winds Aviation is about, if not the only place you can rent tail-draggers near Dallas. Check them out, you will not be disappointed.

http://www.tail-wheel.com/

Give Dave Honaker a call at 469 - 844 - FLY5 ( 3595 )

They also have a LSA cub, Super Decathlon and a Pitts S2B for rent when you are get ready to upgrade your skills :)

Use the archer for your longer cross countries and then play in the cub and decathlon to keep your tail-wheel skills fresh. The best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Lot of great ideas here. I have looked around at most of the local schools (that have websites at least). I didn't realize how much rental rates have gone up in the last few years. To be fair, most of these schools have nice new aircraft. I don't think I have ever rented a 172 that was younger than the 1980's. Used to run $80-$110 and hour $25-$30 for the instructor. Looks like the going rate is $130+40. I guess $170/hour is a hard pill to swallow for and hour of messing around. Might have to put that on hold for the time being and save the $$ for the project.

Dallas bound?

I'm bumping this thread back up to the top, as I may myself be relocating to the NE Dallas area. I've been checking out flight schools at the Addison airport, as that will be closest to my new office (assuming I land the job). :p So far, I'm impressed with the online information for Lone Star Flyers, Monarch Air and American Flyers. The next step would be to visit the field and each of the schools. There's only one thing I can't fathom, and that's paying $250/hr for a C182T! :eek: I recently graduated from the C172SP to the 182 while flying in my home town of Indianapolis. There they only charge me $172/hr. I also can't understand why they would require 300 hours total time for renting the 182.

Anyone have any experience with Monarch that they would care to share with me? I would prefer to keep flying the 182 and I have not found another FBO at Addison that rents them (based solely on online info). However, at those rates, and being 100 hours shy of 300TT, I don't know how that will be possible.

Thanks!

One other thing you might consider about flying out of ADS; it is VERY busy. You can spend a good portion of you "flying" time on the ground waiting for take-off.
It might be worth you while to check McKinney (TKI), Dallas Executive (RBD), and Mesquite (HQZ). These airports are further away, but you might make up you travel time by getting in the air quicker.

One other thing you might consider about flying out of ADS; it is VERY busy. You can spend a good portion of you "flying" time on the ground waiting for take-off.
It might be worth you while to check McKinney (TKI), Dallas Executive (RBD), and Mesquite (HQZ). These airports are further away, but you might make up you travel time by getting in the air quicker.

I'll second that!

No kidding. Last time I was there at ADS in my Cherokee, I was like #12 in line waiting for takeoff and worried that I was going to overheat my engine.

As long as we're talking about the DFW area ...

any recommendations for a CFII to a little Instrument work out of 52F (in my plane)?

one more data point

If you already have your private, which it sounds like you do, give RFC Dallas a good look. It's a flying club based at Addison, and they have a Cherokee 180, Cardinal RG, and 3 Bonanzas. I think their rates are very reasonable. The Cardinal RG rents for $95/hr wet.

It's $500 to join, and you get that back when you leave. There are monthly dues based on which airplanes you're flying. When I left in january, the fee was $45/month for access to the Cherokee, $55/month for the Cardinal and Cherokee, and $65/month for everything.

Their web site (http://www.rfcdallas.com) has all the info, but it looks like you'd qualify for the Cardinal after doing 10 hrs of dual.

About the delays at Addison... FWIW, I think the delays taking off can be managed for most people. You will quickly learn the days/times to avoid. Outside of those few times each week, I never thought it was that bad. I was based at ADS with a Cherokee for 2+ years plus over a year flying the RFC airplanes.