Clarkie

Well Known Member
Any of you guys know what's involved to get my CFI renewed? I let it expire 3 years ago. I am employed by a 121 airline, but not a captain, so can't use that avenue. Thanks.

I think it would be a "reinstate", not a renewal. I believe you must take a check ride in a complex. No sign off is required. Somebody? Is this right? I'm not staring at the regs, I'm just thinking aloud.

Probably will need a ride

Dig out the Practical Test Stds from the FAA site - the PTS for CFI tells you what is necessary for a reinstatement. Reinstatement (or addition) of any rating on the CFI is good for everything. For example, someone with ASEL CFI does a AMEL add on - makes the certificate current again. Someone with ASMEL does a ride ASEL - makes the certificate current again.

Also, see the FAA guidance at http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=A6018EF51590B0008525734F0076665F

Dan

PM me. We have a guy at my airline who used to be a Fed & does CFI reinstatements. It is WORTH spending a day and jumpseating to see him.

I think it would be a "reinstate", not a renewal. I believe you must take a check ride in a complex. No sign off is required. Somebody? Is this right? I'm not staring at the regs, I'm just thinking aloud.
I did mine about 5 years ago with a DPE. About 3 hrs of ground discussion and a trip around the pattern in a Cherokee 140. I don't recall what paperwork was involved, but I'm sure it was an 8710, which means IACRA these days. No sign off was required.

Any of you guys know what's involved to get my CFI renewed? I let it expire 3 years ago. I am employed by a 121 airline, but not a captain, so can't use that avenue. Thanks.

I'm in the same area, and situation. You fly for PSA? Just a thought, do you have a commercial glider rating, do you? That's what I've got and all I'm going to do is get a CFIG and that'll renew my CFI for airplane. The glider add on would be a much easier and cheaper way to do it.

Steve