JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Back in the 80's I had a cfi license and let it expire. Now I think I may have an opportunity to do some teaching at the local airport. What exactly will I have to do to requalify as a cfi? Do I have to take the course ($$$) all over again?

See what your local FSDO requires. Will require a checkride, but they may let you ride with a DPE. The extent of the ride will also be up to the FSDO. Don't call Monday morning!! ;)

Last edited:
JimWoo50 said:
Back in the 80's I had a cfi license and let it expire. Now I think I may have an opportunity to do some teaching at the local airport. What exactly will I have to do to re-qualify as a cfi? Do I have to take the course ($$$) all over again?
Jim, you will have to take a checkride but you do not have to do it with the FAA...in fact, I suggest you don't. There are many DPE's who can reissue your CFI certificate.

If you post on the Flightinfo.com forums or the AOPA forums (if you're an AOPA member), I'm sure you'll be able to get multiple recommendations for a DPE in your area. You can also search the FAA site here for a DPE; http://av-info.faa.gov/designeesearch.asp but you'll want to get some feedback about a particular DPE (via the above forums) before just choosing one from the list.

I let my CFI's expire about 10 years ago and did a very simple checkride for reissuance. I did my last renewal with American Flyer's online course. You can only use this if your current certificate has not expired, but it's a good deal because there's a one time fee for lifetime renewals.

Hope this helps.

AU

Last edited:
I was in the same situation, non active 1975-2003. All you need is to obtain a reinstatement ride with the FAA, there is no written and they never even had an oral.

Part 61,91,141 changes coming....

AOPA reports that the FAA is proposing some 106 changes in Part 61, 91, and 141, some having to do with the CFI certificate. I did not read all of the proposals, but with regard to the CFI rating, it will be permanent. As it is presently written, the certificate is reissued every 2 years. This does not change the 2 year renewal requirment, that remains the same.

For those with a current CFI, think about keeping it current even if it is not being used. The bi-annual CFI renewal courses offered on the internet are excellent. I use the Gleim system and find it a great opportunity to get spun up on current FAA thinking with regard to flying airplanes...is there any other way? :) Another good reason to keep it current is you worked your butt off the get it.

The quickest way to maintain the certificate is by check ride. I did that years ago and it was not much of an event. If you can do a steep turn, you will pass but you won't learn anything new. I much prefer the online courses.

CFI renewal

I reinstated my CFI about 3 years ago with a designated examiner. We spent 2+ hours discussing airspace and regulations and reviewing the Practical Test Standards. The flight part was one trip around the pattern with a spot landing. Very straight forward.

DGlaeser said:
I reinstated my CFI about 3 years ago with a designated examiner. We spent 2+ hours discussing airspace and regulations and reviewing the Practical Test Standards. The flight part was one trip around the pattern with a spot landing. Very straight forward.
This is encouraging to hear. I knew there was some lattitude as to what extent the reride covered. But will still do whatever necessary to keep my certificates current/in-hand.