AAflyer

Well Known Member
My newly acquired builder's insurance has many sections that will apply when I FINALLY get my RV-8 in the air. One section seems overly restrictive, and may be impossible to comply with. They require..."a written endorsement from a CFI to solo the same make and model as your aircraft."
I plan on getting transition training from a CFI in a side-by-side RV, since the -8 does not have a complete set of fully operational dual controls, and only a couple of guys are willing to "teach" in such an a/c.
Can a CFI provide me an endorsement to solo my RV-8, if he/she has given me training only in a -6, or other side-by-side model?
Wondering if I need to talk to my agent about this clause.
Also: the insurance company wants 10 hours of Dual instruction prior to solo. This seems high. Is it?
Thanks.:confused:

They require..."a written endorsement from a CFI to solo the same make and model as your aircraft."

That's not uncommon. You might call your insurer, explain to them the difficulty of finding a suitably equipped RV-8 and instructor, and see if they'll accept dual training in a side-by-side (particularly an RV-7 since it's closest to the 8 in size, power, and maneuverability).

Also: the insurance company wants 10 hours of Dual instruction prior to solo. This seems high. Is it?

At first blush, YES, I think that's very high. My carrier (Gallagher, formerly Nationaire) only required 2 hours dual. However, I don't know how much or how little flight time you have, tailwheel time, any other risk factors that may be driving their 10-hour requirement.

I think you should give Shanna a call at Gallagher Aviation Insurance.

Insurance requirements

When I purchased a RV4 back in 2012, the insurance underwriter required 10 hours of transition training. Training in a RV-6 or RV-7 was acceptable. This didn't seem unusual to me since I had only about 15 hours of tail wheel time, and that time was almost 25 years ago.

When I purchased my RV8 last year, the underwriter had NO training requirements for insurance. I had about 300 hours of tail wheel experience at that point. My son was also included on the policy for the RV8 and the underwriter required 1 hour of transition training in a 6 or 7. He had about 100 hours of tail wheel time in a Decathlon.

So I've experienced the entire range of requirements for insurability. All seemed reasonable to me.

Note that I agree that Gallagher is the most RV friendly company.

By a strict reading of the requirements, it sounds to me as if they are allowing your cfi to sign you off for an -8 even if instruction is done in a -7. e.g., find a cfi who will do that. But clear it with your insurance agent too.
As to the ten hours, that is not uncommon if you have low or no tailwheel time, or no (required) tailwheel endorsement.