Airzen

Well Known Member
I am very happy to share that I managed to pass the CFI checkride yesterday.

The checkride was brutal, 4 hours oral and more than 2.5 hours of preflight + flight... Got a couple of questions on design of aircrafts (why twitchy aircrafts have short wings and are stubby?).

Now onto building with full concentration :)

i have also heard it is the worst with the highest failure rate so definitely huge congrats on that.

Congrats for sure!

Having been through the CFI ride myself I know what a huge accomplishment
it is. It was the longest day I ever had for sure! I was supposed to fly home from Albuquerque that evening, called the wife and told her I was staying there because I was just too tired to fly home.
Congrats for getting it done!

Don't forget

Congratulations! Now, I will pass on some important info some old CFI gave me when I got it. "CFI is a really hard check ride. The only thing worse is forgetting to renew it on time...and having to re-do the check!" Mark the anniversary in stone, and never forget to do your FIRC if you are not instructing a lot!

It's very important.

I was reminded by my check pilot last month, that he's our last contact for inspection and clearance to instruct. WE'RE the final point of contact for our students and pilots that we administer BFR's to, so they check us out really well, because, in effect, the public and the FAA depend on us as CFI's to ensure the safety of the pilot's passengers and the non-flying public...a big responsibility. Like "The buck stops here!"

There is presently an examiner under severe review, here in the Southeast. Over 100 pilot certificates will be reviewed, that he licensed last year, one with only .2 hours in his logbook for a PPL checkride:eek: Believe it or not, but those pilots that he licensed can be invalidated and asked to re-do their checkrides!

$hit happens.

Best,

Thank You all.

Thanks all.. The feeling is beginning to sink now and realizing the responsibility. I hear you Pierre, the buck does stop with us.

I'll be instructing as an independent instructor. I have been adviced to do that under an LLC to reduce liability. I am not sure I agree (since I am the only instructor). Thoughts? What do other CFIs do?

No LLC, BUT

I buy the NAFI/AVEMCO CFI insurance policy for liability and damage ---- it also covers rented/borrowed airplanes I occasionally fly. Various limits, various prices.

Feel it

Personally I made myself a promise that I would be fair and thorough always. Only pass along people who I would let fly my mother around (in an auto at that), and that I would quit as soon as I could not do that. Plus, I don't "do it for money" I only ever instruct to cover my cost, I have that luxury. I self insure :eek:

Congrats! The CFI checkride is very tough. It's a great accomplishment. A 121 initial can be even more challenging. Still, I pride myself in the CFI more than the later.