drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. I'm a bit confused on this subject. I looking at the gtn650 for kln89b replacement. "If" I wanted to push that gps display, onto any old efis,(lesser espensive experiemental type efis) is it still then considered certified? I thought I had read somewhere, that be the case. I may only afford just to update the gps at this point, but wanted my options, as to what to add if I were going to take it up another level. I currently use a TT a/p and that control head would need upgrading, to coincide with the 650. (not the servo's however) So whatever efis I may get, must keep within the boundaries of being certified, and work with the trutrak. Thx for any advice. DM

The short answer is you need a "certified" nav source but your EFIS that displays what your nav source puts out does not need to be "certified".

Now the bickering will begin regarding which EFIS, autopilot, etc.is best.

The short answer is you need a "certified" nav source but your EFIS that displays what your nav source puts out does not need to be "certified".

Roger on "nav source". I'm pretty sure I have only a couple efis's to look at, due to the compatibility with my a/p servo's. Just looking for the most bang for the buck on a display. Take care

Bill,

What bickering? We all know the brand that I have is the best. :D

DM,

There are literally hundreds of folks with GTN650s installed with their experimental EFIS. It should work just fine with all the leading experimental EFIS vendors that have an ARNIC interface (which I believe is all of them).

bob

DR,

Not sure what you mean by "pushing the GPS display" to an EFIS, but I think you are concerned about keeping your TT autopilot with a GTN650 and some EFIS. If you want the future EFIS to directly control the servos (removing the TT head unit), then your choices in EFIS are limited. Otherwise, the TT, 650 and any EFIS will all talk to each other just fine. I happen to have a new 650, and it gets along just fine with my D10 and STec autopilot.

GTN 635

decided to forgo the efis for now. I did a search for GTN 635 and supprised I didn't find anything. By reading the discription of each at Garmin, it would appear the 635 lacks the ils/vor, which I don't really need because I'm running a kx155 with a loc/gs already. I don't see that I need this 2nd redundancy of vor/ils, with it's limited future. The only thing that may drive me to the 650, is if it's newer by a stretch. Any of you familiar with 635? Is there more differences than what I'm reading at Gar. website? It's about 1K savings. I won't skimp with this one time upgrade. Thx, DM

decided to forgo the efis for now. I did a search for GTN 635 and supprised I didn't find anything. By reading the discription of each at Garmin, it would appear the 635 lacks the ils/vor, which I don't really need because I'm running a kx155 with a loc/gs already. I don't see that I need this 2nd redundancy of vor/ils, with it's limited future. The only thing that may drive me to the 650, is if it's newer by a stretch. Any of you familiar with 635? Is there more differences than what I'm reading at Gar. website? It's about 1K savings. I won't skimp with this one time upgrade. Thx, DM

the 6xx series all came out at the same time.

You need to think about the process you'll follow if you are in IMC flying the GPS enroute, then having to fly an ILS. That process is pretty straight forward on the 650.

I have no clue how that would work with your kx155. How will you switch Nav sources on your AP head? What about the miss approach? Or are you planning on hand flying the approaches? I think integration would be easier with an EFIS. I would recommend talking with somebody at SteinAir or Aerotronics to understand these issues better.

I was planning the 635 at first. But then my avionics guy pointed out that there is not a substantial price difference between the 635 and 650, and on top of that the 650 had a rebate offered whereas the 635 didn't. With all that, the 650 was only a couple hundred bucks more. Considering the future resale and the added capability, the choice to go with the 650 was a no brainier.

the 6xx series all came out at the same time.

You need to think about the process you'll follow if you are in IMC flying the GPS enroute, then having to fly an ILS. That process is pretty straight forward on the 650.

I have no clue how that would work with your kx155. How will you switch Nav sources on your AP head? What about the miss approach? Or are you planning on hand flying the approaches? I think integration would be easier with an EFIS. I would recommend talking with somebody at SteinAir or Aerotronics to understand these issues better.

Most of the autopilots out there will not fly an ILS unless there's an EFIS in the loop.
Keep in mind that the EFIS will eliminate the need to buy Garmin's $2K CDI/OBS.
As Michael noted, discounts and special offers often bring the 650 price close to the 635.
All that being said, hand flying with a KX155 with its CDI, and a 635 with its ($2K!) CDI, is certainly possible.

A twist on words...

So whatever efis I may get, must keep within the boundaries of being certified, and work with the trutrak. Thx for any advice. DM

Sorry Brudda, but no matter what you bolt in your panel or even if you want to call it certified, it doesn't eliminate the 3 inch letters emblazoned near your cockpit: EXPERIMENTAL and... the pink Airworthiness certificate. Nor can you call anything on your airplane certified, even if it was originally built that way, engine, avionics what have you.
You can however take your RV to a licensed/qualified avionics shop, have the pitot static system checked, Mode C/Altimeter checked and comply with the FAA requirements to operate an airplane in IMC and document the items in the logbook if your operating limitations reflect the proper writeup to include IFR . (I recently had this discussion with my local FSDO for a customer.) Then you may operate within the guidelines of IFR but nothing about you is certified, only compliant.

Great link to the EAA website on this very subject: http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/faq/Equipping a Homebuilt for IFR operations.html

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Sorry Brudda, but no matter what you bolt in your panel or even if you want to call it certified, it doesn't eliminate the 3 inch letters emblazoned near your cockpit: EXPERIMENTAL and... the pink Airworthiness certificate. Nor can you call anything on your airplane certified, even if it was originally built that way, engine, avionics what have you.
You can however take your RV to a licensed/qualified avionics shop, have the pitot static system checked, Mode C/Altimeter checked and comply with the FAA requirements to operate an airplane in IMC and document the items in the logbook if your operating limitations reflect the proper writeup to include IFR . (I recently had this discussion with my local FSDO for a customer.) Then you may operate within the guidelines of IFR but nothing about you is certified, only compliant.

Great link to the EAA website on this very subject: http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/faq/Equipping a Homebuilt for IFR operations.html

V/R
Smokey

Great summary, Smokey. Much clearer than most put it.

Agree

Yes, it's a problem of symantics.
People say 'certified' when they mean 'TSO'. And as the article points out they say 'equipment is TSO'd' when what is needed is 'the equipment meets TSO standards'.