mnrvdude

I'm New Here
I'm getting close (maybe 1-2 months to final assembly and engine start. I have been thinking about what to do for the certification process. Should I be thinking about calling to set up an appointment for inspection? Knowing how efficient the FAA can be, don't know how long they take to respond. Can I go straight to a designee or do I have to go through my FSDO? Do I need the weight and balance done first? When do I get the hex # for my transponder?
Thanks in advance for your help!

You have several questions. I would say to go ahead and phone your FSDO if that is the direction you want to go. If they will not participate in your certification or you just decide to go with a DAR, I would contact them now and start a conversation. They can answer all your questions. They're very interested in the process going smoothly. It's easier on all concerned.

May 8th there is an EAA Webinar scheduled. The title is a Homebuilt Airworthiness Inspections.

http://www.eaa.org/webinars/

The Webinar will be presented by Joe Gauthier who is a very active DAR serving the notreast states. Joe also serves with me on the EAA Homebuilt Aircraft Council. He is very knowledgable and serves our comunity well.

Yes, get the EAA packet.
Two months? Apply now for the N number (registration). You must have the N number on the plane (look up the rules, there are specific width, stroke, spacing requirements); You must have the fireproof data plate attached; before the a/w inspection. When you get the registration N number your mode S code will be assigned (look on the FAA web site).

Weight and balance needs to be done. All panel labels on. In short, ready to fly.

Every FSDO is different. At first contact my FSDO said they needed 9 months lead time. I called, they said call back when you're within 2 months. I did, they said they were too busy, I should hire a DAR. They did not care who, they were willing to send a list. Since then they've hired another person, they are doing inspections again now.

I suggest calling your FSDO as soon as possible.

Get on the EAA web site and there are a number of DAR volunteers. Choose one in your area and give him a call. I did and no cost to me, except milage. He walked me through every step. Went smooth and got my pink slip.
Dave