tullow

Hello all,
This is a request to all of you European RV builders ( especially RV 6/7/8 ) for information concerning the certification procedures in your respective countries for your completed RV plane.
I would like to know what information is required on the airplanes design and performance to satisfy your certification authorities of the airplanes compliance with an acceptable airworthiness standard and most importantly, how and where did you gather the necessary information.
The aviation authorities here are requesting that I supply the above information in order to accept/certify my quickbuild RV7.So I'm sure you can well imagine that I'm doing my utmost to amass as much information as possible and so avoid having an RV7 shaped white elephant parked in my garage!!
I am aware that the UK CAA/PFA/LAA has a somewhat similar requirement for detailed information of " compliance" before accepting a new airplane type for certification but I have not been able to access this as yet.

All information and help will be much appreciated.

Should you wish to contact me directly my e-mail address is --

[email protected]

Many thanks in advance

Mike Greene

Mike,

You really need to talk to LAA Engineering, join the association and then ring up. The UK RV community have had to jump through many hoops over the years to get the aeroplanes on the approved lists. As there are over 600 RV-7s flying worldwide will the the French authorities not accept that as reasonable service history? The aeroplanes probably do not fully meet CS-23, although probably no-one knows exactly where the non compliances are. Van's used to help out by supplying data, but typically now are loathe to get involved. I don't see why a QB is different from a flat pack - it is possible to verify a QB has been built to plans.

As a last resort you could register the project with the LAA, pay an LAA inspector to come over to France to inspect it and do the final assembly and first flight in England. You could probably keep a G reg homebuilt in France for ever as long as the annual never ran out.

Pete

Certification

Pete,

Thanks for your reply, I have thought of going down the road you suggested,ie.LAA/CAA certification as a plan " B" as it were. But for obvious practical reasons it would be much simpler for me to try to have the plane certified here.
The authorities here have two different C of As for amateur built airplanes - one for planes built from plans or a basic kit of materials and another C of A for kit built airplanes built from an advanced or quick-build kit. The distinction is based on the assumption that there is a shared responsibility between the supplier and the constructor in the case of a quick-build or advanced kit for the construction of the individual airplane, whereas the amateur builder assumes all responsibility in the case of a plans or basic kit built project. The fact that both planes are indentical and built from the same materials and parts does not make any difference.

So for the time being I'll continue my search for useful information in the hope that something will turn up and , of course, keep an eye on the forums here.

Thanks again

Mike