Harvey L. Sorensen

Well Known Member
A friend of mine just called me and said he was told by the FFA today that any and all LSA that were going to be certified had to be done by the 31st of Jan. 2007. I have a hard time believing that this is correct. Does anyone have any other information of this?
Thanks

RV9_A flying:)

EAA Exemption Request

The deadline of 31 Jan 2008 has been out there for some time.

DARs have been working hard to assist owners and the EAA requested an exemption last month for owners who had filed paperwork but are caught in the backlog:
http://www.eaa.org/news/2007/2007-12-20_conversion.asp

The article states that the FAA has no plans to extend the deadline, so those who haven't complied may end up owning very expensive lawn ornaments.

Teansporter's got it right. There are gonna be lots of parer weight airplanes in the next few days.

Most guys were flying them illegally anyway, and most will continue to do so. When they go to sell (there goes the "resale" word again) them they will be in for a surprise.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just called me and said he was told by the FFA today that any and all LSA that were going to be certified had to be done by the 31st of Jan. 2007. I have a hard time believing that this is correct. Does anyone have any other information of this?
Thanks

RV9_A flying:)

You mean 2008.

This does not include "new" ELSA that are built now or in the future, or purchased as flying LSA's. It means old existing "fat ultralights". Most were not really UL's, but that is beside the point. Yea, the FAA's pass to get them into the LSA world is closing fast.

This deadline date has been in exsistance for a number of year, ever since Sport Pilot became law.

Last edited:
The January 31, 2008 deadline is for "existing aircraft" (21.191(i)(1)), to be converted into E-LSA. The deadline was established in September of 2004. Any new E-LSAs must meet the requirements of 21.191(i)(2). The "kits" can only be offered by a manufacturer who has previously certificated the exact model as an S-LSA. The kit must be built exactly to the same specs as the S-LSA with NO MODIFICATIONS.

Possible extension

EAA has petitioned the FAA for an extension to allow any aircraft that is in the registration process by 1/31/2008 to be certificated under 21.191(i)(1), but as yet the FAA has not notified any of us.