prkaye

Well Known Member
I've created a centre-post extending down below my panel and mating up with where the fuel selector goes. I have the push-pull throttle and mixture knobs on this piece. I'd always wanted to have a throttle quadrant between the seats (like in the Katana), but decided against this due to extra complexity and weight. Now I'm wondering if I'm selling myself short and If I should try to make it work with a quadrant.
I'd really want the quadrant sitting nice and low, horizontally, behind the fuel valve (kind of where you'd expect to find a gearshift in a car). I don't like the idea of it cantalevered hanging below the panel. But I've had trouble visualizing how I could do this without getting an extension for my andair fuel valvue. I'm not sure how the the throttle+mixture cables could be routed around the fuel valve where it is now, assuming I put the quadrant behind the fuel valve (which is where I would really want it).
Has anybody else done something to make this work? If so, do you have any pictures?

Here's what I did.
1233199993.jpg

That looks nice, but as I mentioned what I'm trying to accomplish is different. I don't want it hanging below the panel like that... I want it back behind the fuel valve, lower down. Hence my question about how I could route the cables.

I have a center console that extends from the panel down to the fuel selector. It looks nice, but it really makes working under the panel or backside of the firewall a real challenge.

I wouldn't do it again.

But I'm not tearing it out either.

cary

I have a center console that extends from the panel down to the fuel selector.

That's what I have right now too... but again, what I'm asking about is something different... something different than any of the quadrants I have seen on side by side RVs (almost all the ones I have seen are mounted hanging below the panel like in the photo above)...

You may want to re-think the position that you want. IMHO it will cut into the cabin space for your legs and on a cross country you maybe wishing for the space.

basically... excpet they use an extension to raise the fuel selector, and their unit is much bigger (heavier) than i would like. I was hoping for somethign similar, but with teh throttle quadrant mounted much lower, and not having to rig up an extension on my fuel selector.

Phil,

I put in a quadrant, but it is hanging between the panel and fuel selector valve. In my opinion, Norman is correct. Unless you are very skinny, having the quadrant between the seats will cut into your hip space. In addition, the quads have a friction lever on the side, and your passenger could either move the friction lever inadvertently or make it not very accessible. Also note that if you put in the aileron trim system, it normally goes right where you are planning to put the throttle. Don't want to discourage you, but just a couple thoughts...

cheers,
greg

Back in the old days, I prefered Piper quadrants over Cessna push/pull verniers anyday. I tried fitting a Piper quadrant to the 6A, but it was more work than I wanted. The newer quadrants were not available at the time.

Fast forwarding.............I'd now, never want to give up the knee space by placing a center section in the panel. These size of aircraft without something in the middle, are just more comfortable, and easier to work on! And those push/pull knobs work just fine, without taking up extra space. In some ways, push/pull verniers are even better when it comes to adjusting prop & mixture. Just a few twists, and everything stays in place.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Phil,

I can visualize what your intentions are but some things to think about from my experience with the same center console in the link provided by Mike H.

First is an issue with your elbow. Whenever I fly with someone in the passenger seat, they always need to keep their left arm forward or across their lap. Just lowering the quadrant will not help this and could make it worse since there is nothing to keep their hand/arm from moving left but the quadrant.

Second, the quadrant levers and mechanics go down below the plate about 6" or so. You would need something to mount it with and the cables would need to be routed around the fuel valve and possibly through the spar and in my book that is a no-no.

Third, with the quadrant right in front of the unraised fuel valve, you have a safety issue of being able to easily reach it without bruising your arm on the quadrant levers.

Fourth, under this area is the electric aileron trim and elevator push rod.

If I were to do everything again knowing what I know now, I would have just a map box/arm rest between the seats then hang the quadrant down from the panel such as in a Piper.

Thanks guys, all your comments make sense. I'm gunna stuck with the push-pull knobs that I currently have installed.

Don't give up!

Phil:

Don't give up so soon! Check out the thread on this topic and see what Jon Clemens did. That's the approach I am going to take.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32220&page=4&highlight=center+console

I have spent quite a bit of time flying the DA40, and I really like the center console throttle at seat level. It puts the throttle/prop/mixture at my lower thigh, which is very comfortable in terms of reach. You may want to consider how you will safeguard the mixture control if you use the lever system since on a standard quadrant it will end up being beside your passenger's leg.

Antony

Phil:

I have spent quite a bit of time flying the DA40, and I really like the center console throttle at seat level. It puts the throttle/prop/mixture at my lower thigh, which is very comfortable in terms of reach. You may want to consider how you will safeguard the mixture control if you use the lever system since on a standard quadrant it will end up being beside your passenger's leg.

I'd seriously sit in the cockpit for a few hours before making decisions, based on what looks cool. I really did want a center console that's somewhat like the DA40, as well as others. I had lots of cockpit/console pics to choose from while trying to make a decision.

But the bottom line.............is that the RV cockpit is cramped. You're going to feel tight in there as it is! Anything that gets in the way of shoulder, arm, and leg room is going to be noticed, and eventually felt. That's why I now feel comfortable with the fact that I went with the three knobs, and an electric flap switch to avoid cramming an arm between to bodies to set the flaps. Same goes for the trim, as it's on my joystick.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Phil,

Build what YOU want, not what OTHERS want you to build!

I'm very happy with my TQ and it doesn't take up any more room than the stock throttle. Besides who wants to fly with something that reminds them of a Cessna?

Phil,

Build what YOU want, not what OTHERS want you to build!

I'm very happy with my TQ and it doesn't take up any more room than the stock throttle. Besides who wants to fly with something that reminds them of a Cessna?

Mooneys have the "three knobs" too! :D

And, I'm not arguing against the TQ. Some of those new models attached to the panel don't take too much room. However, as I said before, I too wanted a center console. But I'm glad I didn't just stuff one in because it's what I wanted. It's the fact that I flew in another "9" for a lot of cross country,with a console, and lack of room that got me thinking. My aircraft was already past that point in construction..........without a center console, and I was thrilled that I hadn't stuck one in!

So it's not a case of just building what you want...............because in many cases, building what you think you want, is something you may regret later!
It's good to get ideas from others, who have been there.

P.S. --- If you had installed a C/S prop to begin with, you wouldn't be looking for a different prop now. Just a simple push/pull of the blue knob would satisfy requirements for both climb and cruise! Sorry, I couldn't resist... :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

...So it's not a case of just building what you want...............because in many cases, building what you think you want, is something you may regret later!
It's good to get ideas from others, who have been there...
Larry,

For some, putting a TQ and center console is worth the effort and reduction in space. For others, maybe not.

I still remember the first time I saw a picture of a TB-21. I couldn't get the TQ out of my mind.
0145179.jpg

It could be that the person who started this thread is 5' - 6" tall and weighs in at 110 lbs and has a smaller spouse. Thus giving up an inch of width isn't a tradeoff at all.

What I'm saying is, on many of these threads people put down an idea because it didn't work for them while the same thing might have worked for others. As a community, let's point out what works and what doesn't work and if someone wants to do something different than we did, great! Personally I would hate to see every RV out there equipped the same. The variety really impresses me.

Been there

So I have sat in the RV 7 cockpit for several hours on cross country flights and never had an issue with room at the rear end level. Shoulder level is a different story, particularly when wearing winter coats.

In my opinion there is plenty of room for a low center console if you want one (unless you are pretty wide in the rear). I also like the idea that i will be held in the seat more -- much like I am in my sport sedan with center console and seat bolsters.

I'd seriously sit in the cockpit for a few hours before making decisions, based on what looks cool. I really did want a center console that's somewhat like the DA40, as well as others. I had lots of cockpit/console pics to choose from while trying to make a decision.

But the bottom line.............is that the RV cockpit is cramped. You're going to feel tight in there as it is! Anything that gets in the way of shoulder, arm, and leg room is going to be noticed, and eventually felt. That's why I now feel comfortable with the fact that I went with the three knobs, and an electric flap switch to avoid cramming an arm between to bodies to set the flaps. Same goes for the trim, as it's on my joystick.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Larry,

For some, putting a TQ and center console is worth the effort and reduction in space. For others, maybe not.

I still remember the first time I saw a picture of a TB-21. I couldn't get the TQ out of my mind.
0145179.jpg

Wow.......

I thought the same thing! Had those pics all over the place, and went out of my way to climb into one (a Trinidad). I figured that that cockpit setup was the best GA airplane ever!

L.Adamson

although we're not flying yet, we are quite happy how our center console turned out...

throttle and prop are based on a djm 2-lever quadrant modified and the mixture is via a custom vernier from spruce allowing for fine adjustments on the mixture. also it keeps the quadrant very slim.
fuel selector is via a extension to the andair dual selector (return line).
also, parking brake and alternate air are on the opposite side of the mixture.
above the fuel selector will be the touchpad for the embedded pc.

a big advantage is that the beams are attached to the subpanel and not the main panel, also the throttle quadrant is mounted to the wing spar via angles, independent of the floor covers. very easy serviceability and dependencies that way.

the long center beam is the aluminum part that stabilized the quickbuild fuse in the crate by the way.

P1040545.JPG

http://www.flyvans.com/log/2008_05_10_center_console2.html