Mark Jackson

Patron
I bought a piece of oak to construct spacers for the center section. I measured and marked to the recommended 1.483" thickness. For grins, I measured the actual ends of the wing spars. They are thicker, on the order of 1.495" and 1.497". I plan on making the spacers the exact same thickness as the spars now.

Has anyone else seen this?

Van's support told me always "just make your parts fit your parts"...

I too made the centre section spacers match the actual spar dimensions. I used fibre board and then shimmed to the exact thickness with some layers of sheet aluminium.

Think ahead

If you are making spacers for the spar, I would think about making them so you can support the plane with them once the fuse gets together. What I mean is that it is probably better to make these spacers so they can later be used to build a fuse cart later in the build.

I made spacers, now I am making spar supports that I can use to build a sturdy fuse cart for engine and instrument installation. JMHO

Buller

I bought Buller spacers for my 7 build. He made the .005" thicker than the wing spars. Wings fit perfect. Spacers were 1.444"

Yes, I noted the discrepancy too. Made my spacers from Delrin (Acetal) to fit the wing spars, not the dimension in the instructions. Oak may not be as dimensionally stable as Delrin.