No specific success yet, but I have a little cheap Bluetooth module similar to this one that I plan to try installing in my -12. I've tested it with the phone -- works fine. I've tested its audio output to the headset -- works fine. I have not tried connecting it to the plane's intercom yet. I want to install a LEMO plug on the passenger side, and I figure while I have tings apart to do that I'll wire in the BT module and see how it works (or doesn't). I figured it was worth risking the $12 to try it out. Heck, if it works I may put one on the motorcycle too. I'll post the results here, but it won't be for at least a couple of weeks yet.

These Bluetooth modules are SO cheap that I can't see spending five times as much for an octopus cable. I'm 99% sure it can be connected, it's just a matter of finding out if and where I need to use any additional parts - like inline capacitors for AC coupling the audio to prevent hum and crackling, for example.

Last edited:
Thanks, that looks real interesting, I'll look forward to hearing how it works out. If it does, it would be great if you could post the parts and wiring if it's not too much trouble.

These Bluetooth modules are SO cheap that I can't see spending five times as much for an octopus cable.

...or more than 10x for something like the commercially available bluetooth adapters ...

Cell phone adapter

I believe I have a cell phone adapter in my hangar. I am out of town and I will sell it for $25 if it's what you're wanting. Won't know until I get home next week.

Yeah... if it works I'll document it and post the whole thing. It should go in pretty easily, but I haven't messed with an aircraft intercom setup before. No magic there, I just don't know how much fun it will be to get audio levels right.

Well, thanks for the pointer to that! That's almost exactly what I'd planned to try first. Good to know I was on the right track.

When I bought my 1st (or 2nd) Zulu headset, I was excited to try the phone functionality. Sadly, I had no real success. I remember being able to hear the person I was talking too but it seemed to be a one sided call. Even as such, it was difficult to hear in the headset anyway. I don't use the music for the same reason. Good ideas, just not very practical in my cockpit.

When I bought my 1st (or 2nd) Zulu headset, I was excited to try the phone functionality. Sadly, I had no real success. I remember being able to hear the person I was talking too but it seemed to be a one sided call. Even as such, it was difficult to hear in the headset anyway. I don't use the music for the same reason. Good ideas, just not very practical in my cockpit.

Thanks Andy. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Was just looking for an easy way to pick up clearance on the ground at uncontrolled airport. If there isn't pretty clear two way comm it won't be useful for that.

Thanks Andy. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Was just looking for an easy way to pick up clearance on the ground at uncontrolled airport. If there isn't pretty clear two way comm it won't be useful for that.

I wouldn't give up yet. On the ground is likely to be the best place to use it. See if you can borrow a BT headset and give that a try.

EDIT: You've inspired me to give this another bit of experimentation. If I get in the air this weekend, I'll report back.

Last edited:
FWIW, my experience with my Lightspeed and it's built-in bluetooth has been that it works fine. No issues making calls on the ground at idle, or in the air at cruise power and speed.

The only thing I don't like is that the connection isn't shared with my passenger... So if I listen to music, only *I* get the music. I think I need to get back to my project to make a BT interface for aviation using one of these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11678

No specific success yet, but I have a little cheap Bluetooth module similar to this one that I plan to try installing in my -12. I've tested it with the phone -- works fine. I've tested its audio output to the headset -- works fine.

I've had one operational in my -6A for over a year. Works fine.

FWIW, my experience with my Lightspeed and it's built-in bluetooth has been that it works fine. No issues making calls on the ground at idle, or in the air at cruise power and speed.

The only thing I don't like is that the connection isn't shared with my passenger... So if I listen to music, only *I* get the music. I think I need to get back to my project to make a BT interface for aviation using one of these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11678

What's the trick for making calls with the lightspeed headset? I can receive music no problem and can hear phone calls but cannot talk through the headset to my friends on the phone. Any ideas?