doncmn

Do I understand this right? The FCC not the FAA prohibits cell phone use on non-IFR fights? Do they enforce it? I see my headset has an adapter for cell phones and I hear it works just fine.

Welcome to VAF!

You know, I've heard and read all sorts of opinions about that subject. I've even seen a bluetooth gizmo that you plug in and can then use your cell phone through your headset. Neat.

Unfortunately, I've noticed that I seldom have a signal when flying. I've successfully sent a few text messages, but never seem to have a strong enough signal for long enough to place a call, so the whole concept is lost on me.

Again, WELCOME to VAF! :)

IFR Comm. Failure

I know a lot of people, me included, who say if they ever had a comm. failure while flying IFR, they would call the Center they were talking to.

I know the Canadian regs. don't have any restrictions about using electronic devices while flying, VFR or IFR. Not sure about south of the border.

Do I understand this right? The FCC not the FAA prohibits cell phone use on non-IFR fights? Do they enforce it? I see my headset has an adapter for cell phones and I hear it works just fine.

Yes you are correct. I doubt they would really enforce it but who knows. I was coming back from LOE in 2006 at 8000' just east of NM and I had the best signal I ever had. Leaving the phone on will suck the battery dry though.

I've tried it and I lose my signal between 500-1000 AGL. (Sprint)

I used to like the idea of the cell in the air (and still do) but I just haven't found many opportunities where I can actually get a usable signal.

I do like the cell plug-in though for ground ops. That's pretty nice to pickup an IFR clearance while already in the saddle for your IFR release. That part is really cool!

I have an iPhone 3GS, which doesn't have great cell reception above about 5000, but I've been able to send texts, check weather and get emails through the 3G network as high as 10k over major metropolitan areas.

I have an iPhone 3GS, which doesn't have great cell reception above about 5000, but I've been able to send texts, check weather and get emails through the 3G network as high as 10k over major metropolitan areas.

Same experience with my 3GS. In areas with spotty reception (usually above 7k) I can get a text message to go through easily while not being able to carry on a conversation.

This guy I know

On the way back from the Badlands Fly-in I know a guy who had a Blackberry up on the dash, plugged in to the charger. It looked like he was going to be able to go non-stop the whole trip. He picked up the phone to see if it was finished charging and noticed it didn?t have much of a signal but if held up high, nearly all the bars lit up. He was at 7500?. Hmmm, he fired up the Zulu Bluetooth connection, got a link and dialed his spouse. Low and behold, when he told the wife he?d be home earlier than planned, she mentioned it was raining cats and dogs there. Uhhh, zooming out the 496 XMW showed the weather way up ahead was less than inviting. Where did those things come from? A fuel and dining stop at Pratt, Ks. allowed enough time for the 1st storm cell to pass and he snuck in just before a second line of storms hit the area. He usually has better luck with the text message approach but in this case it worked very well. Previously he?d only used it on the ground. You might try holding the phone up high and see if the airplane itself isn?t shielding the signal?

Some of our helicopters have a FCC placard prohibiting cell phone use. Would I ever admit that while flying out in the sticks, unable to raise our comm section on the radio to get updated locations for emergency requests have the nurse's in the back used their cell phone to call for that info? No, I would not admit that.....

Thanks for your help!

Has anyone tried installing a signal booster on the bottom of their plane with the antenna on the bottom of the plane?

In Australia we have a great mobile phone network using 850MHz spectrum and my iPhone 4 works pretty much all the time. Bought the new Bose A20 headset with Bluetooth at Oshkosh and I get clear calls everywhere I fly :D.

I recently purchased a Zulu with the Bluetooth interface. My Sprint signal is very unreliable at 1000 agl and pretty well non-existant above that level. I might try adjusting my phone next time I'm up to allow roaming. Maybe I'd do better with a different carrier's signal.

I know that the FAA says that a distressed pilot can use any means possible to help a problem in the air. I once flew with a friend whom lost the alternator and the coms wouldn't work and we circled a cell tower at about 1500' agl. Got the control towers number from the flight guide and he called them on his cell phone and said he was 10 south inbound with no radios and our ETA would be 5 minutes and the tower told him to expect a straight in and light signals for our clearence to land. We landed safely. Tower said to call when he landed. Tower person thanked him for calling and not just circling the airport and waiting for a light signal while traffic was in the pattern. So keep it handy.

You really should turn it off ...

...if you're going to be higher than 3000' because the signal gets progressively weaker with altitude. The towers are pointed at each other, not at you and your angle is what degrades the signal....the phone then starts searching for a signal and that will eat up your battery quickly.

Best,