Article missed something

You have probably already experienced this. My cell phone won't work at any reasonable altitude above the towers. It just hunts and uses a lot of the battery. I always turn it off for a flight for that reason. It will not work at 35k ft+ inside an aluminum can.

There are lots of reasons to use a "smart" phone when not receiving phone signals, of course.

I-phones are notorious for interfering with radios and transponders. I can tell when someone is flying with their phone on because of the noise it makes on their radio.
A pal spent $2400 trying to fix what he thought was a faulty transponder, turned out to be his I-phone in his pocket...

DM

I thought that all the so-called RFI with the cell phones was a bunch of hoooey over nothing. Then one day at the gym I placed my iPhone on the cardiac rate monitor located between the handle bars of the exercising machine. It immediately screwed up all the functions of the device. I picked it up and it went away. Putting it about 12" from the unit caused all the functions to be scrambled. That was an eye opening experience. I'm a believer now!

I've seen a MP3 player spoof a portable GPS. The exciting part was that I was running along one side of a restricted area when the GPS started giving very odd readings. I separated the GPS and MP3 player (both were sitting in the passenger seat) and the GPS immediately settled down.