Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
I am one of many displaced workers in this down economy. I am fortunate enough to have found work 2 states away which, unfortunately takes me away from my family. So how is this RV related? Well, instead of driving 7 hours each way to go home on the weekends, my RV-6 has provided me with a great alternative, 1.6 hrs going east and 1.9 hrs going west. I never thought when I was building my little yellow and white hot rod that I would be using it so much for cross country travel in such a practical way.

Today, on the return trip from my home in Lafayette, IN to my place of work in Waverly, IA my hobbs passed another magical milestone, 200 hours since the first flight in January, 2009. As I was crossing the mighty Mississippi river into Iowa I decided to take a ten minute detour to the north. One of my favorite sports movies is "Field of Dreams" which was filmed in north east Iowa just to the north of my route. What better way to celebrate passing 200 hours than to fly by the baseball diamond from the movie were the belief was "If you build it they will come." To paraphrase, with an RV "If you build it you can go". Since I was 10 my field of dreams was a grass strip and a plane that I built myself, 40 years later I have my dream come true every time I settle into a little grass strip with my RV-6.

Nice

Good for you Frank. As someone who had to take a job that involves two week stretches at a time away from family (once or twice per quarter) I can relate..It hurts being away, I wish I was allowed to use my RV to travel on business.

Frank