SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a SL30 and I want to add an external CDI. It appears that the GI
-106A and MD200-306 are compatible instruments.

Is this installation as simple as connecting the radio with a harness to the CDI? Does the CDI get its power and ground from the radio or does it require its own?

Where would I purchase the harness? I don't want to have to build my own with pins and connectors.

Anything else I need to know?

Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,
Jim
N444JT

Yes, you just need a bunch of wires. Stein (SteinAir) can probably build a harness for you. However, you are probably already using the connector on the SL-30 that these wires go to, since it supplies power to the nav side, along with nav audio connections. Stein could: just leave pins on that end, for you to insert in the existing connector; or, give you a new connector complete with new power, ground, and audio wires which you would have to splice or connect. Either way you need to get access to the back of the rack.

I suppose you know that new, these CDI's are pricey; you can probably get an EFIS that would display the CDI/OBS as well as all the flight instruments, for about the same price. and would connect to the SL30 with a single digital wire.

You are correct and Bob is correct. It's not a terribly difficult install, but the used CDI's go for pretty big bucks (even used ones routinely sell for $1200-$1600+). For almost the same money or a little bit more, you an buy something like a Dynon D-10A, and get a huge pile of additional capability for hardly any more money...plus the install and wiring are infinitely easier (two wires vs. 12+ wires), digital vs. analog, full HSI vs. simple CDI, etc..

If you already have the CDI, a harness can be built to your specs quite easily. You already know the SL30 is a great radio, and either the Analog instrument or something like a Dynon will work fine to give you a CDI.

Cheers,
Stein