Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
I ordered some MK-319-BS from spruce but got some CCC-32. I see that in the catalog they're listed as equivalent but they seem different than the MK-319-BS I had from Van but I'm not sure they're different enough to not meet the same spec.

Any insight?

When they broke they left a stub

I tried they at one time. When I used them I found them leaving a stub from the mandrel. Could be bad technique on my part but now I just order the MK-319-BS's from Vans. Vans seems to be the only vendor I could find that carries the MK-319-BS.

The CCC-32 is a stainless rivet and is no where near as robust as the MK-319-BS. Some also warn against problems with corrosion when using these.

If it is something non critical and I want a true 3/32 rivet I have used a few of them but for the most part if I need a flush one I use the MK-319-BS and just countersink the dimple a little to get it to sit flush.

Get them from Van's.

I had very poor results with the CCC-32 rivets. A dimpled #40 hole is too large to seat the shop head properly. I tried using them on a few wing-skin-to-spar holes, but it didn't sufficiently pull the parts together, and they were really loose. In fact, I had to grab the shop head with pliers while drilling them out, to prevent them from spinning in the hole.

More info on this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34637

-Rob

I ordered some MK-319-BS from spruce but got some CCC-32. I see that in the catalog they're listed as equivalent but they seem different than the MK-319-BS I had from Van but I'm not sure they're different enough to not meet the same spec.

Any insight?
The CCC32 rivets are what are used for nutplates when you can't use a solid rivet to hold the nutplate on. I do not think they can be used interchangeably for structural purposes. Better check with Van's. If they messed up your order, they'll fix it, I'm sure.

Thank guys, I'll send them back. I ordered them over the phone because I couldn't find them online. I wish they would have told me that they were using a substitute product; I would have ordered everything from Van's. Live and learn.