Lucky Clover

I'm New Here
Getting ready to purchase an RV-4 kit, and was thinking of using the CC340. It's a light weight stroked 320 with 180hp from cub crafters. Has anyone heard anything good or bad on this engine?

Getting ready to purchase an RV-4 kit, and was thinking of using the CC340. It's a light weight stroked 320 with 180hp from cub crafters. Has anyone heard anything good or bad on this engine?
Well, not exactly on the Cub Crafters 340. However, I am flying with the IO-340 in my 9A. Cub Crafter's engine is actually the ECI O-340. Other than the fact mine is fuel injected, I have the same engine. Just do a search for any of my posts concerning engine performance and you can get an idea of what I think of the engine. In a nut shell, anyone considering a 320 (or the 360) for their project should seriously consider the 340. Basically increases the HP by 20-25 while only increasing weight by 7-8 lbs over a 320. Comparing the 360 to the 340, I gained 5 HP over the 360 while the weight was less by about 20 lbs. A no brainer decision for me.

If you truly are interested in this engine you should contact America's Aircraft Engines or ECi. I am not sure what Cub Crafter's sells the engine for but you most certainly will not go wrong with America's Aircraft Engines when using them.

Of course there are substantial differences between the RV-4 and the RV-9A so my comments are not meant to be taken to say this engine would be appropriate for your airframe. I am sure RV-4 enthusiasts can pipe in concerning that discussion but I do believe if the airframe can handle 180 HP you cannot go wrong with the (I)O-340 engine.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss in more detail.

Good Luck with whatever you do. Live Long and Prosper!

The O-340 was first developed by Lycoming as a stroked O-320 prior to the O-360.

Take a look at this chart from ECI. It lists the differences between their kit engines.

BTW, if you have an O-320, you can buy an upgrade kit to turn it into a 340. Just be careful, not all -320's can be upgraded. Check with America's Aircraft Engine for details, they are great to work with and I highly recommend them.

I agree with most everything Steve said. However, after looking at the numbers, I elected to go with the O-360 with tapered cylinders partly because it cost less and partly because it was a "standard" engine and the tapered cylinders cut six pounds off the engine. That is not to say there is anything wrong with this engine. By all accounts, the (I)O-340 is as good as any other Lyclone engine.

. . .I elected to go with the O-360 with tapered cylinders partly because it cost less and partly because it was a "standard" engine and the tapered cylinders cut six pounds off the engine. . .
Just for clarifications sake, the 340 does have tapered cylinders too. This is where some of the weight savings on the 340 is coming from as well.

Does the 340 use 360 jugs, or does it use shorter pistons, or what?

Or rods? Just curious.

Check out ECi's 320 to 340 conversion kit.

ECi said:
Kit Includes:___Qty___Description
AEL34103-2____1____Crankshaft Assy, 4.125 Stroke, 340 Series
AEL75412______4____Piston, 5-1/8 Dia, 8.34:1 Compression Ratio
AEL78031-S____4____Connecting Rod Assy, 340 Stroker Series

The tapered cylinders are just a bonus of buying a new kit from ECi. If I were overhauling an O-320 that needed a new crank, this would be a great change to make.

They do sell cranks for both FP and CS props.

Last edited:
The 340 uses 320 jugs and replaces the crank, rods, and pistons.
Info here: http://www.eci.aero/exp/retrofitkits/csh340.aspx

One useful piece of info I learned when researching the 340 stroker upgrade kits from ECI is that you can have the option of 7/16" prop bolt bushings in the crank flange to keep your 320 propeller, or 1/2" prop bolt bushings and use a 360 propeller.

It's a stroked 320 the only difference is the crankshaft.
Actually there are several other differences as well. The tapered fins is one of them. Because of the increase in the stroke length the height of the cylinder is slightly different. Depending on the type of induction you will have different sump configurations, also the materials used in the sump construction can be different.

An interesting point, I have noticed that ECi shows on their site the pistons are 8.34:1 for the IO-340 but I have the 9.0:1 pistons in my IO-340. Perhaps they have changed since I bought my engine in 2009.

Cub Crafters does quite a few other things to their version of ECI's 340 to make it lighter still. They custom fab their own sump, use dual EI, a carbon plenum, and more... to scrape every ounce of weight out.
The CC340 while built from the ECI 340 kit, is it's own animal when it comes to accessories.

If you are serious about putting a really light engine in your RV, make sure you look hard at your CG limitations.

I think the CC340 would make a great RV3 power plant. The other models might be a little CG challenged and would take some serious re-engineering and thought to get right. I hope someone does it soon!

An interesting point, I have noticed that ECi shows on their site the pistons are 8.34:1 for the IO-340 but I have the 9.0:1 pistons in my IO-340. Perhaps they have changed since I bought my engine in 2009.
I?m glad you said something about the compression ratio. That was the specific reason I didn?t go with the -340 and bought the -360 instead. I wanted the power but with a compression ratio that would allow me to burn premium auto fuel, if it came to that.

As for the tapered cylinders, it is my understanding that they are stock O-320 jugs but with tapered cooling fins, similar to what they did on the O-360 cylinders.

340 pistons

Cubcrafters uses the 9.0:1 piston that is normally reserved for injected applications. The carbureted 340 uses a 8.3:1 piston.

It's harder to understand the part numbers since the 75413 that is the low compression piston in the 320 and 360 becomes a high compression piston when used on the stroked motor. ECI uses p/n 75412 for the 8.3:1 piston in stroked engines (340, 370)

Grub

Hmmm some corrections on CC340 engine

Most of the above info is correct, but let me clear up a few details on the CC340.:rolleyes:
It is an engine that was developed for and certified to ASTM standards for LSA aircraft. Weight reduction took priority over power, but power was important as well. ECI makes most of the components, but CC makes the sump, and induction system, and all CC340s come with dual Plasma III Light Speed ignitions systems. The engines are assembled and test run at Aero Sport Power in B.C. They weigh about 43Lbs less than an equivalent Lyc O360A3A.
I believe you can have an engine builder such as Americas, or Aero Sport build the ECI 340 kit in many different configurations, but the CC340 is a 9,1 to 1 compression ratio engine with MA4SPA carb. There are no gears in the accessory case to drive such things as fuel pumps, or vacuum pumps since they are not needed in an LSA Cub, and these gears have WEIGHT. (and cost money, and fail occasionally, etc). The CC340 was run in a test cell at ECI for the certification and came out with a 2400 hr TBO.
The engines are very efficient with the slightly higher compression and electronic ignition. It is not uncommon (at altitude) to get 120 MPH on 6 GPH, or 20MPG. That is hard to do in a Cub type airplane.
ECI is a great progressive company that is continuing to work to lighten up these engines we all know and love. :)