Capflyer

Well Known Member
A few times the 60A circuit breaker on the B lead from my B&C 60A alternator to the starter solenoid has tripped and I am not sure why. I read through an FAQ from B&C and saw many different answers that might cure my problem but nothing definitive. Is using a circuit breaker here the correct thing or other things like a shunt or current limiter? Anyone out there with solution to this?

Thanks

Hot?

Assuming you don't actually have an overload condition that the breaker is saving you from...

I've seen this happen with thermal CBs on the B lead when they get hot (hot day, sun-soaked etc). The 60amp rating must be derated when the breaker is hot. The problem went away when the thermal breaker was replaced with a magnetic-hydraulic one. The Potter & Brumfield website has application notes that cover this effect. Klixon makes aviation-rated CBs as well.

The breaker could also be getting old..

BTW when you say its connected to the starter solenoid, I assume that thats just where you pick up the battery and that the CB is not carrying starter current...

Use 80A current limiter

Bob Nuckolls mentions in the 'Connection that an overachieving alternator can easily surpass its rated output in normal operations, so he recommends using a "slow-blow" fuse rated for 80A in that circuit. The 80A current limiter available at B&C Specialty eliminates the "nuisance tripping" while still protecting against fault situations.

Roger