petehowell

Well Known Member
Just a lovely morning in the Twin Cities and I had a few hours before the boy's sectional baseball game. I needed gas if I go to South Bend tomorrow, so.... I was off to South ST Paul for cheap gas, see if Bob Collins was there, and see what Wipaire had on the ramp.......

Both cities are in view over the top of KSTP
SGS%20for%20Gas%20009.jpg

The Mississip just south of St Paul
SGS%20for%20Gas%20014.jpg

Lock and Dam at Hastings
SGS%20for%20Gas%20016.jpg

SGS%20for%20Gas%20021.jpg

Mixing of the rivers at Hastings - caught me by surprise!
SGS%20for%20Gas%20024.jpg

Fire Boss at Wip - Bob's hangar door was not open.......
SGS%20for%20Gas%20034.jpg

SGS%20for%20Gas%20035.jpg

SGS%20for%20Gas%20037.jpg

Gassed and ready to go!
SGS%20for%20Gas%20043.jpg

Go Islanders!
IMG_5425.JPG

Last edited:
Headed that way

Hey Pete,

Headed up to NE South Dakota next Friday to visit relatives. The 10 day is looking pretty good. Hope the weather holds.

Beautiful shots.

Very nice shots Pete! I always remark upon how clear the air is when I get back to the Cities, and this trip is no exception - no hint of the "brown tinge" we always live with on the gulf coast, and all the greens and blues here in Minnesota just seem so crisp - you captured them nicely!

Paul

Gorgeous WX!!!

It's summer in Florida. Lots of cumulus, convection and haze. Boy do we envy that kind of sky. We rarely see anything close to this. Great photos, Pete!

Hot Day!

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

And just because you are all dying to know.......the Islanders win!! In a see-saw battle under the scorching sun, DLS pulls out a 10-9 victory in the bottom of the 7th on a walk off single by one of our seniors. My little numskull was 1-2 with 2 walks and a pair of runs scored....on to the quarter finals......

IMG_6858.JPG

Great pictures that reminded me of my ubernoob days. I got my private and Commercial flying out of D97 (SGS) way back when.

Enjoy the clear air days, they'll be gone soon enough with the humid Twin Cities summer on tap. Sometimes they'll call visbility at 70 miles visibity out here in Colorado (ATIS says 40 today) and you can see to Wyoming and Colorado Springs from Denver. Of course, there is nothing like the green, green, green you see flying over The St. Croix and Mississippi river valleys.

You can almost see Cosetta's (great pizza) on West 7th in you first shot. Then again maybe I'm just imagining it...I miss that place.

Criminy, the one Saturday I don't go to the hangar, you drop in. I decided to work on the great deck rebuilding project instead (a project that is taking ALMOST as long as the RV-7A). Was out there today, though -- hardly anybody up flying. Probably will be back out tomorrow morning. It's my birthday. That's my birthday present.

Next time you go flying, bring me a handful of AN426-3-6 rivets, willya?:p I'm buttoning up the top skin and ran out today.

KSGS gas 3.84 today.

SGS+for+Gas+009.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures, Pete. Looks like if you had swung the camera to the SW you could have seen New Ulm where I was born a few years back. :)

I've been on the St. Croix in years past, it is good to see it remains so clean. The St. Crois ought to be the poster child for a clean rivers effort in this country.

I'm told by the hangar neighbor that Pete dropped off some rivets this morning, which -- by the way -- is an even MORE beautiful, clear day than Saturday -- I think.

I was on my way to the hangar when I noticed the gardens needed weeding. Story of my life.

Hey Pete -

Great pictures.

I was just rolling up to my Hangar on Mass. West when I heard you call ground. I had the Pitt's up north a few miles - upside down, etc. It was a beautiful morning!

Great pictures, Pete. Looks like if you had swung the camera to the SW you could have seen New Ulm where I was born a few years back. :)

Same here... Born in New Ulm

I live up the St. Croix in Stillwater, good monster catfish and sturgeon fishing there at the Mississippi and St. Croix mix.

I'm told by the hangar neighbor that Pete dropped off some rivets this morning, which -- by the way -- is an even MORE beautiful, clear day than Saturday -- I think.

We lifted off KANE at 0658 this morning (just before the tower opened up, and scooted around the west side of the Cities on our way south. Pretty day, but not as clear (from the air) as the pics Pete took the other day - at least looking back east towards Mpls and St. Paul. Still a wondeful place to fly!

As we pulled up to the airport about 0600, the entire airport was covered in a thin layer of fog maybe four feet thick. Fortunately, it had dissipated by the time KeyAir had the hangar opened, and we were off for a nice two-hop (six hours) to Houston.